Family road trip with highway and city speeds

  • Thread starter Thread starter might hire
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Grade 11
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 3K views
might hire
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
I have a question, a huge one but simply it is.. A family goes on a ten hour drive, 100km an hour on highways(x) and 60km(y) an hour on city roads.
100x+60y+880, and
x+y=10

Just need a push in the right direction. Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
By the way, I have to find the hours in which they drove on each road type.
 
Did you really mean 100x+60y=880? If so, what you have are 2 equations in 2 unknowns. Have you covered how to solve these types of problems?
 
The bastow family drove to visit relatives. They drove a total of 880km in 10 hours. Their average speed was 100km on highways and 60km in the city. Let the time traveling on highways be "x" hours and the time on city roads be "y" hours. An equation that represents the total difference traveled is 100x+60y=880. An equation that represents the total traveling time is x+y=10.
a) What time was spent traveling highways?
b) What time was spent traveling city roads?
 
i don't exactly remeber you could try it this way tho
take the second equation multipy iy by 100 so that x will be it will be 100x+100y=1000 put that direclty below the second equation subtract u will be left with 0 for the x then solve for y then plug y abck into the equation

sumone correct me if I am wrong because I am not sure if it works for that type of problem but i use that in geometry.
you cna alwyas try and cehck the answers in the book
 
Oh man, jeeze, I can't believe I forgot that, thanks so much! :) You've both helped a heck of a lot!
 
i can't help but feel that i ahve made a difference in sumone elses life today
 
I'll pass the favor on tommorow:) Keep the chain going.