Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fancier burgers means higher prices

1. Sep 8, 2008 #1

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

During my college years I have become accustomed to a diet of wings, burgers, subs, Philly cheese steak, Chinese food, and Taco Bell ( note the distinction from authentic Mexican cuisine ). With the exception of the latter, the prices of these items have gone up especially wings and burgers. There are gourmet burgers out there and the wings average around 7 dollars for 10 pieces here in Georgia ... honestly , the raw constituents of these items are not of the finest grade and yet people are upgrading the prices based their ability to create " fancier burgers " e.g. Red Robin. Isn't this nonsense? Whatever happened to good old American burgers at an affordable price ; wasn't this why burgers were created in the first place i.e. good and cheap?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2008 #2
    What an awful diet, jeesh! :yuck:

Im eating a sandwich I just made thats two slices of whole wheat bread, mayo, roast beef, turkey, and ham slices w/ a glass of milk.

4. Sep 8, 2008 #3

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would put some cheese on that and then have them toast it. My metabolism is getting worse since I'm in my mid twenties, I should eat more deli e.g. Jason's Deli. I'm a really bad cook and eat lunch everyday outside instead of preparing a meal at home and eating at work.

5. Sep 8, 2008 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whew, I have to agree with Cyrus. Eat a vegetable, GCT! Or maybe a fruit...?

If you really want good food, you're going to have to cook it yourself. And if you must have burgers, at least try buffalo - I love buffalo! Try it, it's heaven. So much better tasting and healthier than beef!

*The buffalo lobby did not pay for this post :smile: *

6. Sep 8, 2008 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Deli is actually bad for you. I've never had Deli meet in years.

This is what I call a diner, and this is what I normally have...

[​IMG]

It's got 3-4 servings of vegetables in there alone. I usually have an apple after diner also.

Yeah, deli meats... :yuck:

7. Sep 8, 2008 #6
    Deli meats are bad because they have a lot of salt in them. But its a whole lot better than eating a burger at a fast food joint.

8. Sep 8, 2008 #7

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm guessing that's Pasta Marinara , potatos , carrots , Asparagus , Chicken with Fettuchini sauce? That's what I call brain food. As for me, cooking this the night before and then having it at lunch the next day is not as appealing as simply going out and getting something quick to eat , nevertheless I'm going to need to change the habit sometime and yours seems to be a good alternative.

9. Sep 8, 2008 #8

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hmm ... buffalo? Where do you get your buffalo? Any fast food buffalo restaurants out there? :smile:

10. Sep 8, 2008 #9
    There is a deli in Phoenix that makes the best pastrami sandwiches. They are about 4 or 5 inches thick ALL MEAT. Sometimes I think some of you here are a little bit too into eating healthy. All it takes is someone to mention a hamburger or a twinkie and they get slammed with "you moron, twinkies will kill you. Have a zucchini instead." Every once in a while its okay to eat a twinkie.

11. Sep 8, 2008 #10

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'll cook that for 2-3 days worth so that I can just mircrowave it. Pasta is a simple boiling water with noodles in it and that's the same with vegetables. The potatoes basically just put olive oil on chopped pieces and then throw any spice you like on it and bake until cooked. Chicken breasts can be done many ways too. All in all, it can be done in 30-35 minutes.

Another alternative that you might like even more because it's easier is to cook a couple chicken breasts (no more than like 3) and slice them up in strips to make chicken wraps. I make wraps with only whole wheat wrap (white is fine, I'm just used to whole wheat), lettuce, tomato and mayo (you can use Miracle Whip or what not, but I'm not too worried about fat content). It's tastes really good and also easy.

Note: It's green beans. :)

Also, deli meats are also bad because of the nitrate found in them. I'm not worried about salt intake. Healthy active individuals should have no worries when it comes to salt.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  12. Sep 8, 2008 #11

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I eat really bad. I just wouldn't waste it on a sandwich.

Last year, I ate half a cheesecake a day. So I ate 3-4 cheesecakes (full ones) a week. After about 3 months, I stopped. I switched to eating half a pan a pizza everyday. Then I went to Quebec City, and while living there because of location and cost and crappy apartment (no fridge or stove), I ate McDonald's everyday and Chez Ashton's (poutine) everyday. And ice cream because the place I worked at sells ice cream.

Since I got back from Quebec City, I haven't ate too much "bad" food. I was thinking of getting onto the cheesecake train again since I miss it, but I don't think I can. I was actually eating chicken wings everyday for about a week. It got expensive and I ran out of chicken wings.

I have about one bad meal a day, but recently, not even that. Maybe 2-3 times a week. (Had a half of pan of pizza today.)

Note: I also consume little to no dairy products except for what is found on pizza and cheesecakes. :) I also do not eat beef or pork. All of which I consider "bad" for ones health.

13. Sep 8, 2008 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ya know, I don't think I've seen it in restaurants...but it's readily available in grocery stores where I am (Washington State, US). I don't know where you are but if burgers are a necessary part of your diet, seek it out - it's worth the trouble :approve: .

Where do you live, GCT?

Edit - Just noticed your OP says you're in Georgia!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  14. Sep 8, 2008 #13
    Peach Burgers?

15. Sep 9, 2008 #14
    Sometimes, especially when money is tight, I make my lunches in advance. I usually just make pasta for dinner with enough left over to pack up for two lunches. I also sometimes make redbeans and rice with some hot sausage and that will make for two meals at least. And that's making it from a box (zataran's), I could probably make more and for less if I bought some beans and looked up a recipe. I'm sure it's pretty simple. You can also use left overs for cooking at home too. The other day I made fried spaghetti. It was pretty damn good.

16. Sep 9, 2008 #15
    I do tend to eat out more now that I'm in college. It's very unhealthy, but I try to look for hearty meals and for a good price, I do pretty good. I haven't really gained any weight since high school :biggrin:

17. Sep 9, 2008 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, it's the preservatives in deli meats that concern me, not the salt. I'm not sure that a fast food burger is any worse than a lot of deli meats if you consider all factors combined.

Burgers are so easy to cook that there's no reason to get bad ones from fast food places for such expensive prices when you can buy a package of lean ground beef and make your own.

18. Sep 9, 2008 #17

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That would be interesting , I've heard of putting apples on burgers , not peaches , doesn't seem to be a bad idea really.

19. Sep 9, 2008 #18

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes , the capital of all that is fried - okra , fish , steak etc ...

20. Sep 9, 2008 #19
    Burgers are hard to cook when you live in a dorm, I remember. Never any grills around, not allowed to have hotplates/stoves.
    Solution : White Castle/Telway/Chiburger/etc. for the simple burger.
    Or if in the southwest : Blake's Lottaburger.

As for that dish in the picture, I look at it and see:
    Starch, starch, heavy cream, carbohydrates, salt.
    The beans are nice, so is the chicken, but that better not be alfredo/cream sauce or it instantly gets unhealthy.

Last few weeks I got in the habit of:
    Cook noodles of some sort (egg or regular) in the pot with a BUNCH of veggies. This means carrots, peas, spinach, green beans, brocolli, etc. Add just a little garlic salt or a very little vegetable bullion. Some garlic, crushed red pepper, cayenne pepper, black pepper, some more garlic, maybe a little marjoram for some earthiness. Cook till done, eat for 3 days.

21. Sep 9, 2008 #20

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's actually leftovers from the wedding I went to this weekend. I rarely eat potatoes. I'm eating them now because I eat what's available and what's on my plate. I typically have whole wheat pasta instead. Also, I never put sauce on my chicken. I usually barbecue my chicken or fry it in olive oil with a spice I like. The vegetables I eat for diner are typically within carrots, beans, and asparagus. Salads are more for lunch so spinach, tomatoes, green beans, onions and such go in there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?