Chalnoth said:
Since we're talking about the ultimate fate of the universe, they always will be. The current evidence, as it stands, still points towards heat death. Perhaps that will change in the future, but that's the way things stand now.
OK, I guess I just disagree with this statement. As far as
evidence is concerned, baring any arguments regarding the theoretical viability of phantom energy, a Big Rip is still in agreement with data ([tex]w < -1.10 \pm 0.14[/tex] at 68% CL from WMAP7). Also, since we have no constraints on [tex]\dot{w}[/tex], I would suggest that, observationally, big crunch models are also still OK. I am certainly not an advocate for either of these models, but strictly speaking, observational evidence does not point to heat death over other alternatives.
It would require violation of the weak energy condition (that matter energy is always non-negative), which most consider to be impossible, especially on cosmological scales where whatever microscopic physics produce gravity are likely to be less relevant.
This is certainly true, and I agree that phantom models face severe theoretical difficulties. However, if [itex]w[/itex] turns out be < -1, then we will need to start taking this more seriously. It's true that phantom quantum matter is energetically unstable and this is a problem; however, I think it's probably OK to violate the weak energy condition effectively, i.e. no fundamental fields in the theory violate the condition. Based on what you say at the end regarding the fact that inflation is 'likely' because we have lots of evidence for it, and therefore we must accept its theoretical difficulties, you would need to reconsider your argument against phantom models if, for example, Planck reliably constrained [itex]w < -1[/itex].
Dark energy, so far, has been decaying very slowly or not at all. A bounce/crunch would require that at some point in the future, this behavior changes so that it starts decaying more rapidly than [itex]1/a^2[/itex]. I'm not aware that any models do this.
Why can't you? Is there a theoretical reason? I'm no expert on dark energy, but I would think it would be simply a matter of 'designing' the right potential that decays sufficiently fast at some point in the future.
The difference is that we have strong observational reasons to believe inflation occurred.
OK, but that seems kind of like an a posteriori qualification for what makes a theory 'likely'.