Favorite jazz musicians and songs

  • Thread starter Thread starter BadgerBadger92
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
393 replies · 43K views
Organ instrumental of Ray Charles' song.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and Point Conception
Physics news on Phys.org
Bobby Timmons wrote a lot of tunes and melodies in his short life too. Many others covered his songs.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and Point Conception
Chris Potter plays Anthropology.

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: difalcojr and pinball1970
Someday My Prince Will Come by Yuka Yanagihara.

Not wild about the improv but she plays the theme beautifully.

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Point Conception and pinball1970
Charlie Parker -- Cherokee. It was his favorite tune.

 
Had to listen to the above music without looking at the video. To be able to listen to the music and not have my eyes distract my ears. :smile:
Jazz. Isn't it great it can be soft and dreamy like the above post or like so many other sounds? Limitless variety, seems. Did not know this band was the same one as in posts 126 and 127, covering classical there. Kenny Ball and his Jazzmen.

 
I think this bass viol player is great.

 
difalcojr said:
drum solo at 4:20.

Drum solo here too. The greatest drummer introduced by one of the greatest vocalists of all time.

 
Fabulous solo on Donna Lee by guitarist Pat Martino.

Trumpeter Howard McGee played with Bird for a short time. You wonder why he didn't gain more fame.

 
Not many singers could do this

 
Hopefully this will play. Just a short one but towards the end he breaks a stick so he somersaults it so he is not playing with the broken end, is not satisfied so he ditches it grabs another stick, somersaults that too and carries on!

 
This is from maybe twenty years ago. I went all the way to Seattle to see this band. I felt Hiromi should go solo, which she often does these days.

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Arjan82, pinball1970 and difalcojr
Cleo Laine -- Dunsinane Blues (After Macbeth)

​


Cleo Laine sings Shakespeare, 'The Compleat Works'​

 
He's in a league of his own! Hard to see, for sure, he's moving so fast. Seems like he changes hand positions on the sticks a lot too. Chokes up on the bat like baseball.
 
Hornbein said:
This is from maybe twenty years ago. I went all the way to Seattle to see this band. I felt Hiromi should go solo, which she often does these days.



Yeah, she's quite something. I love this performance:

 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: Astronuc and pinball1970
difalcojr said:
He's in a league of his own! Hard to see, for sure, he's moving so fast. Seems like he changes hand positions on the sticks a lot too. Chokes up on the bat like baseball.
I broke a stick during a warm up the other week and I wish I had it on camera. I actually thought about this video, 2-3 seconds, should I try and somersault it? 2-3 seconds? Tried to somersault it 3-4 seconds, reached for a new stick, (4 seconds) whilst the guys knew something weird was going on because I was missing things out!
What I was playing was far simpler than the Buddy track too!
Everything he did was instant and instinctive.
The pattern he does whilst reaching for the stick is a 3 over 4 pattern, it's not a triplet, it is quavers but a pattern of repeated bass drum the two on the snare. Not the easiest to do whilst reaching for a stick!
 
I am a student here in this. Interesting. Looks like he twirls them like a baton a lot. Is it true that every drum solo he plays is different, never quite the same?
 
Arjan82 said:
Yeah, she's quite something. I love this performance:


She is absolutely incredible, I am only a few minutes in! Amazing talent.
 
difalcojr said:
I am a student here in this. Interesting. Looks like he twirls them like a baton a lot. Is it true that every drum solo he plays is different, never quite the same?
He had themes and overall structure but what was great about him, he was regarded as the best drummer on the planet by his peers early doors. In terms of technique and creativity no one could touch him, even in his twenties so by the 1940s.
He could have stayed that way but he didn't, he continually pushed himself like all the great artists do.
The rock funk stuff he was doing in the early 70s is just unbelievable.
He adapted, improved and substituted pure speed for interesting interplay between his hands and feet.
It makes me laugh when web posters say, "the next Buddy Rich, he can play this impossible lick from the 1965 solo!"
Ok, impressed. So this guy has great techniques and can reproduce that sound (kind of) for 5 seconds.
Buddy did that off the cuff as part of his overall solo, some days it was different but still impossible. Link all those impossible parts together and you are Buddy Rich?
No, you managed to IMITATE a solo via intense listening and practice.
BR did it on the spot, just that night.
 
morrobay said:
Classic ^ And latin/conga drums version.

"Watermelon Man". That one would not play for some reason. Found a good live version from the NY Harlem Cultural Festival at Mount Morris Park in 1969. 50,000 people! It is located at around 45:30. Manual play.

 
It plays fine here? Just Youtube- search Watermelon man, Mongo Santa Maria . All kinds of recordings
 
Riyoko Takagi -- My Favorite Things
Such sophisticated harmony.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Astronuc and difalcojr