Favorite jazz musicians and songs

  • Thread starter Thread starter BadgerBadger92
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
393 replies · 43K views
Les McCann & Eddie Harris. "Compared to What". 1969. Montreaux Jazz Festival. Jazz still king.
("Trying to make it real.....compared to what?" Like me and my lens model.)

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Please post one, two, or a few of Coltrane's ones that you like. If you want. There's only one recording on this thread now, one with him and Sonny Rollins. What years were those Impulse Studio recordings?

A Coltrane 8-abum set from the years 1958-62, from the "Blue Train" album to the "Ballads" album is available too. $11.95 (4 CDs) from Hamilton Books.
https://www.hamiltonbook.com/john-coltrane-the-classic-albums-collection-compact-disc
 
I found the 8 cd set on ebay used just now. These recordings should be his last recordings, I believe. Not as good or abstract but still good is his recordings with the Miles Davis Quintet.
 
Also, for anyone both interested and adventurous is the jazz of Cecil Taylor. I suggest starting with the 1968 "Unit Structures" or his later Unit's "Winged Serpent". Cacophonous but structured. These recordings are chaotic: unpredictable yet deterministic.
 
Last edited:
difalcojr said:
Please post one, two, or a few of Coltrane's ones that you like.

Naima. Note that he doesn't improvise at all.

 
Passed Brubeck in Central Park and said : Mr Brubeck I presume. He looked like he was high/tripping so I walked on.
 
He did have a goofy look on his face sometimes, I thought, too, in photos, but he sure seemed very straight-laced too. Maybe he was going over a composition in his mind at high volume and didn't notice you.
Here's Henry Mancini, think this would be classified as jazz.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and Astronuc
morrobay said:
Passed Brubeck in Central Park and said : Mr Brubeck I presume. He looked like he was high/tripping so I walked on.
He may have indeed been "unsquare", though, as you say, that day. Or thinking about his "raggy" waltz. Smooth saxophone.
 
Good ones! There's Senri and Juna and others again. Great name, sound! New jazz is excellent.

Couple versions of an old one:


 
difalcojr said:
You know, you've sold me on the Japanese jazz/fusion sound. They are terrific. So, I went online looking for a CD of The Jazz Avengers. Here's what I found: $28.26 for an audio CD. Are you kidding me?! I won't pay that. I'll just listen to all your good posts online. How come the price is so high, I wonder?
https://www.amazon.com/JAZZ-AVENGERS-THE-JAZZ-AVENGERS/dp/B0BT5P2811?tag=pfamazon01-20
Japan spends the highest percentage of GDP on music of any nation. (China the least.) I think it's because they understand that the musicians need the money. If they don't pay then the music dries up.

I spent $75 on a Bandmaid CD and thought it well worth it.

It's harder to make it as a musician than as a doctor or lawyer, and the Jazz Avengers have 8 of them. I say $28.26 is a good deal. I'm going to Tokyo in May and among other things will go see them. I'll buy a CD direct from them and never listen to it.
 
Yes, I guess you are right, it is not that much, all things considered. I guess I just expected it to be lower. They have to divvy up the income 8 ways too like you say. Still, lower cost could mean more sales. A nice long U.S. tour, maybe, to increase the audience. I shall reconsider the price for the CD.
I don't know Bandmaid, but you must really like them. Will have to look that group up. Atill love to listen to a good CD over and over and over, sometimes, like a record.
 
Hornbein said:
Japan spends the highest percentage of GDP on music of any nation. (China the least.) I think it's because they understand that the musicians need the money. If they don't pay then the music dries up.

I spent $75 on a Bandmaid CD and thought it well worth it.

It's harder to make it as a musician than as a doctor or lawyer, and the Jazz Avengers have 8 of them. I say $28.26 is a good deal. I'm going to Tokyo in May and among other things will go see them. I'll buy a CD direct from them and never listen to it.
Yes, you are 100% right because I would not think to pay that amount for a book, and I value both about the same. And the best way to hear them play more is to support them, absolutely. So, I am gonna order it. You convinced me, thanks. You were right also that it is a good price, for the other listings online are all about ten dollars higher. I was just being a cheapskate a bit and sore at inflation a lot. Greedy humans.
Records were $2.50 fifty years ago, up 10X or less in the period to today. Gasoline (petrol) was $0.25 per gallon (ca. 4 liters) fifty years ago, today up 20X to that price! Both industries were making good profits at those prices fifty years ago. Same products. You should see how much candy has gone up in U.S. lately!
 
couple versions: big band and single saxophone



 
difalcojr said:
couple versions: big band and single saxophone




A very fun classic. No one swings harder than the Basie band.
 
Sheena Ringo -- Welcome to Tokio

 
Anita O'Day -- Crazy He Calls Me



They don't make 'em like this no mo.
 
Jazz lost something when the clarinet became uncool.

Trad jazz like this had a big influence on The Beatles. After that chords got simpler in pop music. Much simpler. Gimme the sophisticated stuff.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: symbolipoint and aleksp961
Now there's a Latin beat. Shiina Ringo

 
I love this jazz tune: Nokia Tune Jazz
Very interesting! It combines the piano and the sound of Nokia ringtones. :bow: