Favorite Physical Sciences Podcasts?

• Thread starter DaveE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physical
In summary, the conversation is about finding podcasts related to physical sciences, specifically for people with knowledge of calculus. Recommendations are given for podcasts such as Vincent Racaniello's TWiX series and Jim Al-Khalili's program on BBC, which explores cutting-edge science topics. The conversation ends with a thank you and farewell.
DaveE
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I need to find some more good podcasts about the physical sciences. Searching the interwebs gives lots of popular general science stuff like Science Friday, Sean Carroll, and Neil DeGrasse-Tyson; those are ok, but I want stuff aimed for people that know calculus, if you get my drift.

So what are your favorites? Why?

I'll break the rules and add my favorites from biology; because if I knew good physical science picks, I wouldn't need to ask for help, LOL.

Any of Vincent Racaniello's TWiX series:
This Week in...
- Virology (the very best source of SARS-CoV-2 information, IMO)
- Microbiology
- Parasitism (The most understandable of the bunch, pre-COVID-19 anyway)
- Evolution (not about Apes, it's all microbiology, DNA and such.)
- Neuroscience
and
Immune (barely comprehensible to mere mortals; because, you know, your immune system is the most complex thing in the universe)

Likes Lnewqban
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

I would follow Jim Al-Khalili, nuclear physicist from Surrey University (UK). He has a program at BBC, and many documentaries and (audio)books. He explore many cutting-edge science topics, and some times you would need a bit of physics to follow.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b015sqc7/episodes/downloads

Thank you for the TWIX series recommendation.

Regards,
ORF

Likes DaveE and Lnewqban

1. What are some popular physical sciences podcasts?

Some popular physical sciences podcasts include "Radiolab", "Science Friday", "StarTalk Radio", "Stuff You Should Know", and "The Infinite Monkey Cage". These podcasts cover a wide range of topics in the physical sciences, such as physics, chemistry, astronomy, and more.

2. Are there any podcasts specifically focused on a certain branch of physical science?

Yes, there are podcasts that focus on specific branches of physical science. For example, "The Titanium Physicists Podcast" discusses topics in physics, while "The Naked Scientists" focuses on biology and chemistry.

3. Can I learn something new about physical sciences from podcasts?

Absolutely! Podcasts are a great way to learn about the latest research and advancements in the physical sciences. They often feature interviews with experts in the field and explain complex concepts in an engaging and accessible way.

4. Are there any podcasts that cater to beginners in the physical sciences?

Yes, there are podcasts that cater to beginners in the physical sciences. For example, "Chemistry for Your Life" breaks down complex chemistry concepts into everyday language, making it easy for beginners to understand.

5. Is it possible to access physical sciences podcasts for free?

Yes, many physical sciences podcasts are available for free on various platforms such as Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and Google Podcasts. However, some may offer additional content or ad-free versions for a fee.