What should a PI look for in a physical sciences PhD candidate when hiring?

In summary: I think a willingness to follow one's supervisor is very important, both in general and especially for someone who wants to be a PI.Students who are coming from another discipline have often found it helpful to have complementary skillsets in other areas. This can include things like being good at problem solving, being detail-oriented, being able to communicate well, etc.While I haven't had a favorite student yet, I do think it's really important to get to know the students and find out what makes themtick. This can often be done by asking them questions, listening to their stories, and getting to know them as people.
feynman1
What should a PI look for in a physical sciences PhD candidate when hiring? Among diligence, knowledge about the field and cleverness, willingness to follow their boss, complementary skillsets if they are from another discipline, what's your favorite? What else?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect you actually mean to ask what qualities supervisors typically look for in graduate students. This varies from supervisor to supervisor, but in my experience...
  • The student needs to be academically capable. By that I means that all signs suggest the student is going to be able to pass graduate courses, a comprehensive exam, candidacy, etc. Specific thresholds here are variable, however most supervisors know they aren't doing anyone any favours by taking on a student who's very likely to struggle.
  • Ideally you want a student who's going to learn well from your particular style of mentorship. Some students (and supervisors) need a rigid structure to be successful. Others need flexibility.
  • Open and honest communication tends to be a big one on both ends.
  • As a supervisor you also want a student with a genuine interest in the research. Ideally this goes beyond "I looked up your webpage and your work sounds cool" or "I just want to get in somewhere and you're accepting students." You want a student who will read up on the field beyond just what is assigned or what's been taught in class.

Likes feynman1
thanks a lot. any other opinions?

feynman1 said:
PI
Principal Investigator, typically a professor, for people unfamiliar with abbreviations in the US.

In my experience interest and general capability to learn new things are more important than subject-specific knowledge, especially for e.g. a PhD in Europe that directly starts with research. Courses won't cover your specific research topic in detail anyway, and while more background knowledge is very useful it's something you can acquire over time.

Likes feynman1

1. What qualifications should a PI look for in a physical sciences PhD candidate?

A PI should look for a strong academic background, including a bachelor's degree in a relevant field and preferably a master's degree as well. They should also have experience in research, either through internships or previous projects, and a good understanding of the scientific method.

2. What skills should a PI look for in a physical sciences PhD candidate?

A PI should look for candidates with strong analytical and critical thinking skills, as well as excellent problem-solving abilities. They should also possess strong communication skills, both written and verbal, and be able to work well in a team.

3. How important is research experience in a physical sciences PhD candidate?

Research experience is crucial for a physical sciences PhD candidate, as it demonstrates their ability to conduct independent research and handle complex scientific concepts. It also shows their dedication and passion for the field.

4. What qualities should a PI look for in a physical sciences PhD candidate?

A PI should look for candidates who are highly motivated, organized, and have a strong work ethic. They should also be curious, creative, and have a genuine interest in the subject matter. Additionally, candidates should possess the ability to adapt to new situations and think critically.

5. How important is a candidate's publication record when hiring for a physical sciences PhD?

A publication record is important for a physical sciences PhD candidate, as it demonstrates their ability to conduct and communicate research effectively. However, it is not the only factor to consider, as other qualities such as research experience and skills are also crucial for success in a PhD program.