Who is Sigrid? Exploring the Underrated Music of a Young Norwegian Artist

• Thread starter DennisN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary: I don't know what to choose.I like alternative and classic rock with a few random songs sprinkled in.I like this song. Its really cute.This Requiem of Spirit version is too epic for this world.Let's bring back retro 70's!In summary, the very talented 21 year old Norwegian singer and songwriter Sigrid received a DMCA request to take down the previous "Best songs ever" thread, so she started a new one. She says she cannot pick a favorite song or artist, and that there are too many good songs to choose from. She lists some of her favorite songs and performers, including Boston, Japan, and Paul Simon. She finishes the summary by saying that harmony was a creation of the bar
Rush jazz

and Yes jazz

from Brad Mehldau's new album, also some Gentle Giant on it as well

Physics news on Phys.org

Likes Hornbein
I just heard this song on the radio and immediately liked it.
Delightful to my ears, nice groove, cool synths and great vocals, I think.
Very dreamy. And pretty cool video too.

Röyksopp - 'Oh, Lover' ft. Susanne Sundfør (Official Visualiser)

(I've heard other good songs by Röyksopp, they have a nice sound, I think)

Likes BWV

• Love
Likes DennisN, collinsmark and BWV
Saw this live on a stage off the West Side Highway,July, NYC. And right in the middle it rained with a vengeance.

Likes Astronuc, DennisN, pinball1970 and 2 others
Unlike U.S. pop , rock and roll, Doo wop. Motown was not shut down with the British invasion. The rolling stones and Beatles covered various motown and soul music.

Last edited:

Classic soul: Sam Cook.

Two really good songs recently released by two different Swedish artists:
(both sung in English)

Cornelia Jakobs - Rise (Official Audio)
- this is a really good song in my opinion. Very tricky, it starts quite lowkey, but it builds, and builds and builds.
And some of the high note vocals that eventually come send shivers down my spine :smile:.

...and here's a great acoustic live version (with some marvellous high notes too):

Cornelia Jakobs - Rise / live i P3 Session

Artist: Cornelia Jakobs

Another good song, this one by the quite famous Swedish duo First Aid Kit:

First Aid Kit - Palomino (Official Video)
- marvellous vocals in this one too. When I first heard the song I immediately liked the drum pattern. It wouldn't surprise me if they got somewhat inspired by Tom Petty's "Don't Come Around Here No More", which has a quite similar drum pattern. That Tom Petty song is one of my all-time favorites, by the way.

Artist: First Aid Kit

Last edited:
morrobay said:

That's a darn good song. One of my favorites from that era.

Another wonderful track by the Norwegian electronica duo Röyksopp.
Instrumental and quite modest, but very atmospheric and with a lovely sound.
It has become one of my favorites.

Röyksopp - The Ladder (Official Visualiser) (2022)

Likes DennisN

I heard this tonight on a regional music program. Somehow, I missed this 37 years ago.

Pentangle, Album: Open the Door (1985), Song: Child of the Winter

A classic song from 1986, regretfully quite relevant these days...

Genesis - Land Of Confusion (Official Music Video)

Likes pinball1970 and aeth3r
DennisN said:
A classic song from 1986, regretfully quite relevant these days...

Genesis - Land Of Confusion (Official Music Video)

Yes, you can easily replace those protagonists from the 1980s with new faces. It is almost like we do not learn from mistakes... Anyway it is Xmas and this was always the underplayed song (Maria Carey, PLEASE make it stop!)
Edit: Hopefully not blocked. Notice all the diffraction spikes from the lights, its the 70s!

Likes DennisN
For anyone of a certain age (and others) here’s an Earth, Wind and Fire golden-oldie which is wonderful to watch as well as listen to …

• Love
Likes DennisN, aeth3r and pinball1970
I really like this version of "Umbrella" which is far heavier than the original, and also with live drums. And it's a top notch performance, I think.

Rihanna - Umbrella (AOL Music Sessions)

Likes aeth3r
Steve4Physics said:
For anyone of a certain age (and others) here’s an Earth, Wind and Fire golden-oldie which is wonderful to watch as well as listen to …

There were a couple of great jazzy, funky, bands from this era.

I will have to post a few from Heat Wave, Isley Bros, Chi-lites.

Anyway Maurice White, super cool velvet voice and check out the run he does at 1.00, try it!

Phil Bailey though, wow, incredible range. Some may be more familiar from the duo with Phil Collins song, “Easy Lover.”

Likes aeth3r
Ok let's start with the Chi-lites. Listening to this on the radio as a kid the harmony grabbed me straight away. Had no idea about chords, progressions or anything but you that didn't matter. Just listen to it.
Anyway this is from Soul Train, I think the show just featured black music, all the audience are black. Seems a bit odd now. I'll check out more videos from the show. This is great as you see them, check the changing hue of the outfits, 1970s effects! Miming to the track but that doesn't matter.

Likes Steve4Physics
I hope you guys can access the vids. This is live, no auto tune existed and if it did and was offered to this band it would end up in the trash as soon as it was unpacked. Same genre as Earth Wind and Fire, soul, jazz.

Likes pinball1970
morrobay said:

Never knew they did this!

Another Heat Wave, mimed again but you get to see them. That kind of awkward looking guy on the keys is Rod Temperton. He wrote the tracks. He wrote a lot for other artists, 'Thriller' Michael Jackson being one of them.

Soul became a very flexible term in 70s 80s Actually just pop music. This is soul:.

Likes pinball1970