FEM/FEA Calculations for Torque Wrench 2NM-30NM

  • Thread starter Thread starter herpamad
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Torque Wrench
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
herpamad
Messages
78
Reaction score
0
Hope this is the right place for this?

I have a torque wrench, and need to calculate several parameters.

I need to calculate

- Stress
- Displacement

and

- Force required to reflect the torque rang (2NM - 30NM)

I have ansys (fea) and mathcad (fem) at my disposal to do these calculations, i am just not 100% sure on where to start?

I have done a free-body diagram, and decided that there should be 3.D.O.F, but not sure if there should only be 2?

BUT

My main problem is, how do i model a torque wrench in Ansys? I have the geometry all sorted (i think) but i don't know how one should constrain, or even what set-up should be used? I was thinking of static structure?

Help and a push in the right direction would be most helpful, and i would be most greatful.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There are different kinds of torque wrenches, so one answer doesn't fit all. Let's assume you're doing the inexpensive beam wrench you might buy at Sears for example.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...renches&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a
You can make a very quick, fairly accurate calculation using simple beam equations by hand. If you want to do a full-blown FEA on this, I'd suggest modelling it in something like Pro-E and running ANSYS. The simplifications you need to make are to fully constrain the drive end (probably 1/2") and apply a simple perpendicular force to the handle somewhere beyond the dial. The critical parameter in your design will be the deflection.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that, will give it a go.

I am going to use ANSYS, and i think i can model the geometry in workbench so to eliminate pro/e as its a pain.