"Fermat's" proof to Fermat's Last Theorem

In summary, the conversation revolves around a possible proof for Fermat's Last Theorem that only takes up a page and a half and involves math from Fermat's time. The speaker is unsure about the best way to share the proof and asks for suggestions. Another person expresses doubt about the validity of such a short proof and suggests submitting it to a mathematical journal for review. The conversation ends with a suggestion to discuss the proof as a math exercise and a decision to submit it to a journal.
e2m2a
I have found a proof for Fermat's Last Theorem that only takes up a page and a half. I think it is a candidate proof for "Fermat's proof." It only involves math that was known during or prior to Fermat's time. Not sure what would be the best way to get it out there. Should I publish a book on it, submit the proof to a mathematical journal, or just post it on this website for all to see and review. Any suggestions, anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is very unlikely that you have found "a proof for Fermat's Last Theorem that only takes up a page and a half". Something that brief has almost certainly been tried before and found wanting. How long have you been working on it? What have you done to try to find flaws in it? What historical attempts have you consulted? Why has everyone else failed to see such a short simple proof?

I suppose it may be possible to discuss it here as a math exercise - "where did I do wrong?"
But I'll reserve that decision for a moderator.

Yes please submit the proof to a mathematical journal. Good luck!

What is Fermat's Last Theorem?

Fermat's Last Theorem is a mathematical theorem proposed by French mathematician Pierre de Fermat in the 17th century. It states that no three positive integers a, b, and c satisfy the equation an + bn = cn for any integer value of n greater than 2.

What is the significance of Fermat's Last Theorem?

Fermat's Last Theorem is significant because it was one of the most famous unsolved problems in mathematics for over 300 years. It also has wide-reaching implications in other areas of mathematics, such as number theory and algebraic geometry.

What is "Fermat's" proof to Fermat's Last Theorem?

"Fermat's" proof to Fermat's Last Theorem refers to a supposed proof written in the margin of Fermat's copy of the book "Arithmetica" by Diophantus. However, this proof has never been found and it is believed that Fermat may have made a mistake in his reasoning.

Has Fermat's Last Theorem been proven?

Yes, Fermat's Last Theorem was finally proven in 1994 by British mathematician Andrew Wiles after years of work and collaboration with other mathematicians. He used advanced techniques from algebraic geometry and number theory to prove the theorem.

How does Fermat's Last Theorem relate to other mathematical concepts?

Fermat's Last Theorem has connections to many other areas of mathematics, such as modular forms, elliptic curves, and Galois representations. It has also inspired further research and advancements in these fields.