Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

"Fermat's" proof to Fermat's Last Theorem

1. Feb 2, 2015 #1
    I have found a proof for Fermat's Last Theorem that only takes up a page and a half. I think it is a candidate proof for "Fermat's proof." It only involves math that was known during or prior to Fermat's time. Not sure what would be the best way to get it out there. Should I publish a book on it, submit the proof to a mathematical journal, or just post it on this website for all to see and review. Any suggestions, anyone?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It is very unlikely that you have found "a proof for Fermat's Last Theorem that only takes up a page and a half". Something that brief has almost certainly been tried before and found wanting. How long have you been working on it? What have you done to try to find flaws in it? What historical attempts have you consulted? Why has everyone else failed to see such a short simple proof?

I suppose it may be possible to discuss it here as a math exercise - "where did I do wrong?"
    But I'll reserve that decision for a moderator.

4. Feb 2, 2015 #3
    Yes please submit the proof to a mathematical journal. Good luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook