1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fermi Question - quantum tunnelling of a person

1. Jul 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The probability of a person quantum mechanically tunnelling through a wall

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not too sure how to approach this problem, I calculated the de Broglie wavelength of the person (mass = 60kg, velocity = 30 m/s; These values are made up by me). But then I get stuck, what can I infer from the wavelength that is calculated. I looked at the barrier potential problem, and I'm not sure how to construct a wavefunction for the person (if it is even possible? I thought of using the plane wave solution and calculating the momentum and wavenumber that appears in the complex exponential term), also the wall would represent the barrier potential (would this potential tend to infinity? like the infinite square well problem?)

My brain is melting...
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2007 #2
    I guess that you have to estimate the probability for EACH single atom to tunnel through the potential barrier and then multiply all the probabilities together and get something like almost 0. However, I don't know how to calculate the energy for each atom and how many atoms our body has.
  4. Jul 23, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sounds reasonably straightforward to use a plane wave type tunneling problem as a model. But I have no clue how you are supposed to estimate the height of the potential barrier. If it's infinity, there is no tunneling.
  5. Jul 25, 2007 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?