1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fermilab summer Lee Teng Intership

1. Feb 28, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I applied to the Fermilab summer Lee Teng Intership. I have heard it is super competitive though. Does anyone know when should I hear back from them? Do they send an email or letter? Do they notify you if you are not accepted?

Thanks for your support!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2015 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You won't hear back till late Spring. And yes, it is highly competitive because of the high number of applicants.

You also need to make sure you understand that this is an Internship run by both Fermilab and Argonne, i.e. don't think this is just a Fermilab program. You might easily be placed at Argonne to work on things not related to high energy physics experiments. I hope, in your essay, you have not misunderstood the nature and the sponsor of the program. The website and the application page clearly stated this. If you did not read this carefully and your essay shows your misunderstanding of it, don't be surprised if you don't get accepted. I've been known to discard an applicant mainly because he/she simply didn't read carefully about the program and had something entirely different in mind. A lot of students misunderstood "accelerator science" with "high energy physics".

Zz.

4. Feb 28, 2015 #3
    Hi ZapperZ,

Thanks for your quick response. I'll definetly keep on waiting as this is my first choice for the summer. I know the internship is either at Fermilab or Argonne and the difference between accelerator science and high energy physics. I think (and hope) I did a good job explaining this in my essay too. Would having a background on Mechanical Engineering help?

5. Feb 28, 2015 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Students who apply to the internship typically have either Physics or Engineering background. So I don't know why having a mechanical engineering background would help. You guys are going to be judged the same way. The only advantage is that, if you had already taken undergraduate E&M course, this will help you to do well in the course that you'll take at the Particle Accelerator school.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook