1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spontaneous application for summer internships/jobs

1. Mar 7, 2014 #1
    I'm considering applying for some internship/job this summer if my plan A doesn't pan out. Listings are utterly sparse, though. I'm sure there are opportunities out there, but from what I've heard, the smartest thing to do is contact the companies you're interested in directly instead of sitting idly by waiting for a listing.

But what's the best way to do it? Do you just e-mail the HR dept listed on the website? What would you say? Should I ask "is there anything for me? If so, I'll send my CV", or should I just get down to business and attach it straight away?

All opinions welcome!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2014 #2
    Look at the companies' websites. They usually have a 'careers' section that also lists internship opportunities. In case you are considering finances, these are the top 25 paying internship programs, mainly based in programming, big data, and a few engineering ones: http://www.glassdoor.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/25-Highest-Paying-Companies-for-Interns.png [Broken]

If you want some more help after that (go to their websites, check out the internship opportunities), PM me. I have more links.
    Edit: Noticed you're in physics. Here's one of my ~25 links: https://ed.fnal.gov/interns/programs/

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Mar 7, 2014 #3

analogdesign

Science Advisor

What kind of work are you looking to do this summer and in what region?

5. Mar 7, 2014 #4
    Should've mentioned - I'm in northern Europe. Would like something in engineering (electrical/mechanical) or programming.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook