Possible summer research internships (not REU's)? And REU acceptance/rejections?

In summary, the speaker has applied to multiple REU's and other internships for the summer, but is not confident about getting accepted due to the competitiveness. They mention specific schools and programs they have applied to and ask if anyone has heard back from them. They also express a desire to find a research position in high energy or nuclear physics, but are struggling to find options with open deadlines. The speaker has a good academic record and some CS experience, but no research experience. They have tried searching online and asking their home school's internship office for help. Another person suggests talking to professors for potential research positions and the speaker decides to follow this advice.
d3nat
Hi all,

I've applied to quite a few REU's for this summer, but I'm not too confident I'm actually going to get into one because my professor keeps telling me they are quite competitive, and that it's not unusual for people to get rejected from all of them.

I've applied to:

UChicago
UCDavis
UNLV
UCLA
Colorado
USeattle Washington
Notre Dame (after deadline)
Duke/TUNL
Kansas State (after deadline)

Has anyone heard back from any of these yet?

And I've also applied for the Lee Teng internship at Fermi and a research assistant at Argonne.
I didn't know all of the national labs had internships until my professor told me, but by then the deadlines had all passed.

I'm currently studying abroad in the UK, so I wouldn't be opposed to finding a summer internship here.

What I really want to do is research for high energy (preferably nuclear) physics.
Does anyone know of anything else or anywhere else I can apply to for something like this that wouldn't have had the deadline passed already?

I have a 3.407/4.0 cumulative GPA and a 3.45/4.0 STEM gpa.

I have some CS experience (2 semesters C++, 1 semester Java), and I quite enjoy programming.
Junior year undergrad, Applied Physics. Female.
I have no research experience (why I really need something for this summer since I want to attend graduate school.)

I have tried some internet searches, and I asked my internship office at my home school back in the States for some help, but they told me just to google physics internships.

If anyone has anything else they can offer, I'd really appreciate it.
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried just talking with your professors to see if they have or know of any research positions available for students over the summer?

It's been my experience that many of these types of positions are not formally advertised. Some of them wouldn't even exist if no one had bothered to ask about them.

Choppy said:
Have you tried just talking with your professors to see if they have or know of any research positions available for students over the summer?

My professors and I have an extremely good relationship, and they know I've been looking around, so I feel like they would have mentioned it. But, I took your advice and emailed them asking explicitly. Thanks!

1. What is the difference between a summer research internship and a REU?

A summer research internship is a program that offers students the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in a specific field of research. These internships are typically organized by individual research labs or companies and may or may not be paid. On the other hand, REUs (Research Experiences for Undergraduates) are funded by the National Science Foundation and are highly competitive programs that offer students the chance to participate in cutting-edge research projects under the guidance of experienced mentors.

2. How do I find summer research internships and REU opportunities?

There are several ways to find summer research internships and REU opportunities. You can search online using websites such as NSF's REU program directory, your university's career center, or professional organizations in your field. Additionally, reaching out to professors or researchers in your department can also lead to potential opportunities.

3. What are the typical requirements for summer research internships and REUs?

The requirements for summer research internships and REUs vary depending on the program and field of study. Generally, most programs require applicants to be undergraduate students, have a strong academic record, and demonstrate a passion for research. Some programs may also have specific requirements such as coursework in a particular subject area or specific skills or experiences.

4. How competitive are REUs and summer research internships?

Both REUs and summer research internships can be highly competitive, as they offer valuable experience and opportunities for students to enhance their resumes and gain valuable skills. The acceptance rates for these programs can vary greatly, but it is essential to apply to multiple programs to increase your chances of acceptance.

5. What should I do if I am rejected from an REU or summer research internship?

If you are rejected from an REU or summer research internship, do not get discouraged. Take the time to reflect on your application and try to identify areas where you can improve. Reach out to the program for feedback, and consider applying again in the future. You can also explore other research opportunities, such as working with a professor at your university or volunteering in a research lab, to gain experience and enhance your skills.