Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fermions in bound states and their wavefunctions

1. Aug 10, 2009 #1
    Hello all,

This may be my very first post on Physics Forums. I am a 1st year physics grad student and need some help on something that's been bugging me. Suppose we have two spin half particles in a bound state. The total spin will either be 0 or 1. The spin 0 state, for example, would be symmetric (even parity right?) so it would need an antisymmetric spatial wavefunction to make the overall wavefunction antisymmetric since we have fermions? But then I thought the overall wavefunction may be symmetric because the total spin is that of a boson?

Rephrased, my question is this: would the total wavefunction have to be antisymmetric since we are dealing with fermions, or would it be symmetric since the total spin is that of a boson?
    Which is it and why?

If we came along and didn't know that there were two fermions in there would we think it was a boson?

Does the fermions being in a bound state matter? What about the shape of the potential?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hello ZombieCat! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    uhhh? :confused: did you use to be Schrodinger's cat? :biggrin:
    It's symmetric because it is a boson …

a bound state of an even number of fermions is a boson.

That's why mesons are bosons, but protons and neutrons are fermions … they're two quarks and three quarks respectively! :wink:

4. Aug 10, 2009 #3

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Sorry, wrong. The spin-0 state is antisymmetric, and the spin-1 state is symmetric.

5. Aug 11, 2009 #4
    Re: Welcome to PF!

Haha! I guess this zombie cat USED to be Schrodinger's cat, but is now the quantum mechanically undead. Thanks Tiny Tim!

As for the symmetry of the spin-0 state, (ud-du)/sqrt(2), I understand that the spins are opposed to make this happen and this state should be antisymmetric... I guess I'm getting confused about the difference between symmetry and parity, (-1)^L. Does this not apply here? Why not?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook