1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Few Questions

1. Dec 18, 2003 #1
    I got some questions that im blanking out on, if someone could tell me what forumla i use i would greatly appriciate it. 1 problem is about a space shuttle taking off that takes 200 seconds to reach its cruising speed of 11,200 m/s or 25 thousand mph, i have to find out at what rate it accelerates.
    2. to calculate a G I divide the acceleration by 10 correct?
    3. how do i calculate the weight of the rocket? I have the accelration, mass and force information of it i just need a formula
    4. how can i calculate the air friction? its got 20% more magnitiude then the weight of the rocket.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2003 #2
    This depends on whether the acceleration is uniform. If it is, then
    [tex]a=\frac{v_f-v_i}{\Delta t}[/tex]

No. At the surface of the Earth g=9.8m/s2. To calculate g, you can divide the weight of an object by its mass.
    [tex]w=mg[/tex]
    Or you can plug in the Earth's radius into
    [tex]\frac{F}{m}=g=\frac{GM}{r^2}[/tex], where M is the mass of the Earth and G=6.67x10-11Nm2/kg2

Again, w=mg.

The weight is w=mg. The friction force is 20% greater than this, so
    Ff=(1.2)w

Hope that helps!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?