Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Feynman And The Challenger Explosion

1. Jan 23, 2006 #1
    The National Geographic Channel has started airing its docu/recreation of the Challenger disaster and the consequent investigation. I watched most of it tonight and was interested to see that they decided to make Feynman a major character in the show. That in contrast to another special about the disaster I saw in which I think he was mentioned by name once.

They repeat their shows endlessly so if you're interested you'll probably have many more opportunities to see it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2006 #2
    You should read his report on the incident. He was the only scientist on the investigation board and he disagreed with their findings, he had to fight to have his opinion included as a minority report. After Columbia it was pretty clear that his assessment was right.

Its in the book "Surely you're joking Mr Feynman!" Along with a bunch of other essays, interviews and lectures. Well worth picking up.

4. Jan 24, 2006 #3
    Actually he tells the Challenger story in his second book What Do You Care What Other People Think?

5. Jan 24, 2006 #4
    James Gleik's "Genius" really goes into it as well

6. Jan 24, 2006 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Minor correction: "Surely you're joking Mr Feynman!" is well worth picking up, and Feynman did detail his experiences on the Challenger committee in one his books, but he did this in a different book, i.e., in the book "What Do You Care What Other People Think?: Further Adventures of a Curious Character"

Regards,
    George

7. Jan 24, 2006 #6
    I lied. The book i was thinking of was "The Joy of Finding Things Out", which contains the actual Minority Report.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?