Feynman And The Challenger Explosion

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
The National Geographic Channel has started airing its docu/recreation of the Challenger disaster and the consequent investigation. I watched most of it tonight and was interested to see that they decided to make Feynman a major character in the show. That in contrast to another special about the disaster I saw in which I think he was mentioned by name once.

They repeat their shows endlessly so if you're interested you'll probably have many more opportunities to see it.

Answers and Replies

You should read his report on the incident. He was the only scientist on the investigation board and he disagreed with their findings, he had to fight to have his opinion included as a minority report. After Columbia it was pretty clear that his assessment was right.

Its in the book "Surely you're joking Mr Feynman!" Along with a bunch of other essays, interviews and lectures. Well worth picking up.

franznietzsche said:
You should read his report on the incident. He was the only scientist on the investigation board and he disagreed with their findings, he had to fight to have his opinion included as a minority report. After Columbia it was pretty clear that his assessment was right.
Its in the book "Surely you're joking Mr Feynman!" Along with a bunch of other essays, interviews and lectures. Well worth picking up.
Actually he tells the Challenger story in his second book What Do You Care What Other People Think?

James Gleik's "Genius" really goes into it as well

George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
franznietzsche said:
Minor correction: "Surely you're joking Mr Feynman!" is well worth picking up, and Feynman did detail his experiences on the Challenger committee in one his books, but he did this in a different book, i.e., in the book "What Do You Care What Other People Think?: Further Adventures of a Curious Character"

Regards,
George

George Jones said:
Minor correction: "Surely you're joking Mr Feynman!" is well worth picking up, and Feynman did detail his experiences on the Challenger committee in one his books, but he did this in a different book, i.e., in the book "What Do You Care What Other People Think?: Further Adventures of a Curious Character"
Regards,
George
I lied. The book i was thinking of was "The Joy of Finding Things Out", which contains the actual Minority Report.