Fiction Writer Looking for More Astronomy Help

In summary, the space shuttle basically flies on a rocket and is accelerated to high speeds. It then breaks free of the atmosphere and can travel as deep into space as desired.
mf3201d
Hey Physics Gang,

I'm onto my next writing phase and would appreciate any help you can give me on this round of questions. Here we go (Many of these questions will relate to Space Shuttle launches):

As is, the Space Shuttle essentially hitches a ride on a rocket, which handles the launch and gets the shuttle up in the air quite a bit.

* At what speed--mph or equivalent--does that rocket travel with the shuttle on its back?

* From the initial second of launch, for how long--in seconds or minutes--does the rocket actually thrust until it cuts off?

* At what altitude does this happen? Or, at what altitude does the Space Shuttle then fly under it's own power?

* Once the space shuttle is flying under it's own power, what is it's maximum speed?

For the purposes of this conversation, let's say the Space Shuttle can fly as deep into space as desired.

* From the launch sequence out into what would be defined as "outer space," what are the layers of the atmosphere that the Shuttle would pass through, and what is the altitude--distance from the Earth's surface--as it hits each of those markers?

* As the Shuttle ascends, are there any significant changes in pressure/air temperature, etc. that exert force on the outer shielding of the shuttle? My goal here is to better understand the kind of battering the Shuttle goes through as it breaks free of the atmosphere.

That's all she wrote for this round. Thanks in advance for all your help, and I'm sure I'll be back for more soon.

Russ

Physics news on Phys.org
mf3201d said:
As is, the Space Shuttle essentially hitches a ride on a rocket, which handles the launch and gets the shuttle up in the air quite a bit.
The shuttle's main engines also run at launch although the boosters provide about 90% of the thrust at sea level.
The boosters only run for the first 2min and are dumped. The Main engines run for 9mins before the external tank is empty and dumped.
The shuttle enters orbit with no fuel for it's main engines, all the fuel is in the external tank. It only has a small amount of fuel for manourvering jets.

For the purposes of this conversation, let's say the Space Shuttle can fly as deep into space as desired.

* From the launch sequence out into what would be defined as "outer space," what are the layers of the atmosphere that the Shuttle would pass through, and what is the altitude--distance from the Earth's surface--as it hits each of those markers?

* As the Shuttle ascends, are there any significant changes in pressure/air temperature, etc. that exert force on the outer shielding of the shuttle? My goal here is to better understand the kind of battering the Shuttle goes through as it breaks free of the atmosphere.

Good references are:
Aerospace lecture on shuttle - orbit
http://www.courses.psu.edu/aersp/aersp055_r81/space_shuttle/shuttle.html

Nasa shuttle reference manual:
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/reference/shutref/index.html

ps The shuttle isn't really cosmology - you might get more traffic in the astronomy forum. Of course the shuttle isn't astronomy either - but more people hang around there.

Last edited:
mf3201d said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exosphere

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edge_of_space

These have some good diagrams showing the layers of the atmosphere. Space is traditionally marked by the 100 km line.

mf3201d said:

The shuttle main engines do not run at full power during the mid-phase of the ascent. This is exactly because the shuttle cannot go too fast in the upper reaches of the atmosphere. During the imfamous Challenger flight, the last thing that the ground controller says to the crew is "Go for throttle up", which is an ascent milestone where the main engines can be returned to their full 105% power level.

If you want to write about the shuttle, here is your bible ;)

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/reference/shutref/index.html

[edit] Just noticed that mgb already posted that one. Well, it bears repeating ;)

1. What is the connection between fiction writing and astronomy?

Fiction writing and astronomy may seem like two very different subjects, but they actually have a lot in common. Both require creativity, imagination, and a deep understanding of the world around us. Many science fiction writers use astronomy to inspire their stories and create believable and accurate depictions of space and other worlds.

2. How can learning more about astronomy help me as a fiction writer?

Studying astronomy can provide you with a wealth of knowledge and inspiration for your writing. It can help you create more accurate and realistic depictions of space and other worlds, as well as provide you with new ideas and concepts to incorporate into your stories.

3. Are there any specific areas of astronomy that are particularly useful for fiction writers?

There are many areas of astronomy that can be useful for fiction writers, but some of the most relevant include planetary science, cosmology, and astrobiology. These fields can provide insight into the formation of planets and galaxies, the potential for life on other worlds, and the vastness and mysteries of the universe.

4. How can I incorporate astronomy into my fiction writing without overwhelming my readers?

It's important to strike a balance when incorporating astronomy into your writing. While it can add depth and realism to your story, it's important not to overwhelm your readers with too much technical information. Instead, focus on using astronomy to enhance your story and create a more immersive and believable world.

5. Are there any resources or tools specifically for fiction writers interested in astronomy?

Yes, there are many resources and tools available for writers looking to incorporate astronomy into their work. You can attend workshops or conferences focused on science fiction writing, join online communities or forums, and read books or articles on the subject. There are also many astronomy-related websites and databases that can provide valuable information and inspiration for your writing.