The secret X-37 space plane is about to fly

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane Space
In summary, the 29-foot spacecraft resembling a mini space shuttle will launch from Cape Canaveral in Florida between about 7:50 p.m. and 9 p.m. Eastern time atop an Atlas V rocket. The program is expected to test the Air Force's ability to launch the spacecraft, keep it up for months at a time, return it to earth, and fly again.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
... The 29-foot spacecraft resembles a mini space shuttle and will launch from Cape Canaveral in Florida between about 7:50 p.m. and 9 p.m. Eastern time atop an Atlas V rocket. (Click here for the webcast.)

Other than the launch itself, which Air Force officials jokingly concede they couldn’t keep secret even if they tried, most of what the X-37B Orbital Test Vehicle program is all about is classified

...Some details emerge
Broadly speaking, the program is expected to test the Air Force's ability to launch the spacecraft , keep it up for months at a time, return it to earth, and fly again. The length of its visit to space appears central to the mission.

The X-37 is able to fly for as long as 270 days powered, the Air Force hopes, by a combination of lithium ion batteries and a set of solar panels. Air Force officials will want to see how well the lithium ion batteries onboard stand up to the long deployment. The batteries are “recharged” by a set of solar panels inside the spacecraft that will emerge once the craft has deployed from the rocket that will carry it into space...
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Military/2010/0422/Pentagon-X-37-space-plane-to-launch-amid-secrecy

Physics news on Phys.org
I hope this is true. A quick turnaround space vehicle would be an enormous benefit to our space program both civilian and military. I assume that the X-37 will normally operate unmanned? If this was a manned mission, I think they would have mentioned it.

I wonder if one of the first missions will be to replace some of our GPS satellites?

Well they sure launched something. I could see it from my front yard. It was also on the local news.

Central Florida News 13 has video on their website now.
http://www.cfnews13.com/Space/DestinationSpace/2010/4/22/atlas_launch.html"

They actually had a reporter out at Cape Canaveral covering the launch. Were any national news organizations out there covering the story?

Last edited by a moderator:
:rofl: And it would seem there is nothing more to be said. I suppose that is to be expected given that we're not supposed to know anything about it!

looks like a paper mache' shell around a spy sattelite!

1. What is the secret X-37 space plane?

The X-37 space plane is an unmanned spacecraft developed by the United States Air Force. It is designed to perform long-duration space missions and return to Earth autonomously.

2. When will the X-37 space plane fly?

The specific launch date of the X-37 space plane is not publicly announced. However, it is expected to fly in the near future.

3. What is the purpose of the X-37 space plane?

The exact purpose of the X-37 space plane is classified, but it is believed to be used for testing new technologies and conducting experiments in space.

4. How long can the X-37 space plane stay in orbit?

The X-37 space plane can stay in orbit for up to 270 days. However, its previous missions have lasted for over 700 days, making it the longest spaceflight by any reusable spacecraft.

5. Is the X-37 space plane a threat to other countries?

The X-37 space plane is not intended to be a threat to any country. Its purpose is for scientific research and technological development, and it does not carry any weapons.