Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace The secret X-37 space plane is about to fly

1. Apr 22, 2010 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Military/2010/0422/Pentagon-X-37-space-plane-to-launch-amid-secrecy

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2010 #2
    I hope this is true. A quick turnaround space vehicle would be an enormous benefit to our space program both civilian and military. I assume that the X-37 will normally operate unmanned? If this was a manned mission, I think they would have mentioned it.

I wonder if one of the first missions will be to replace some of our GPS satellites?

4. Apr 22, 2010 #3
  5. Apr 22, 2010 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Apr 22, 2010 #5
    Well they sure launched something. I could see it from my front yard. It was also on the local news.

7. Apr 22, 2010 #6
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  8. Apr 22, 2010 #7
    Central Florida News 13 has video on their web site now.
    http://www.cfnews13.com/Space/DestinationSpace/2010/4/22/atlas_launch.html" [Broken]

They actually had a reporter out at Cape Canaveral covering the launch. Were any national news organizations out there covering the story?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. Apr 27, 2010 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: And it would seem there is nothing more to be said. I suppose that is to be expected given that we're not supposed to know anything about it!

10. May 12, 2010 #9

LURCH

Science Advisor

looks like a paper mache' shell around a spy sattelite!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook