News Fifth Graders Charged With Murder Conspiracy

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
Can't decide?

hmmm.....

I'll tally you up for conditioning, if you don't mind.
/QUOTE]

Oh haha... but I do believe that we are born with some very bad traits.(With evolutionary benefits.) So I can't decide if conditioning is more important.

How do you identify sociopaths? I can't tell if your being sarcastic... :/

OmCheeto

Gold Member
Can't decide?

hmmm.....

I'll tally you up for conditioning, if you don't mind.
Oh haha... but I do believe that we are born with some very bad traits.(With evolutionary benefits.) So I can't decide if conditioning is more important.

How do you identify sociopaths? I can't tell if your being sarcastic... :/
I'm not a behavioral neuroscientist, so my use of the term "sociopath", should be taken with a grain of salt. They are people I would describe as "martyr parasites".

In fifth grade, I did not know what to think. My pituitary gland was waking up and those girls were so confusing!!! Here is the story of our over active hormones.

A good day was ravioli, chocolate milk and an early release from lunch to the play ground. We laughed and drank juice while unknowingly separating ourselves based on gender. On this particular day, I noticed a robustness about a female classmate of ours on the soccer field. I laughed with a "friend" that she probably wore a bra. Innocent boyish laughter among boys. Fifth grade grape vines travel seem to be made of photons and the word spread at light speed..

2 hours later, at the end of the day, our class was loading up onto the buses and standing outside. The breasted one sauntered up to me, asking:

Her:"Did you say anything about me today?"

Me:*looking at my feet* "Uhhh no."

Her:"Well if you did you can tell me..."

Me: "I didn't"

Her: "So and so said you talked about my chest. Please tell me. You can trust me. I won't be mad."

Me: "I said you probably were a bra."

Her:
http://podcast.nlcast.com/wp-content/uploads/slap.jpg [Broken]

That was the first and second to last time I was slapped by a girl. What hurt the most was her dishonesty and my cheek. I probably thought ill of the young lass at the time. Heck, I may have called her names in my journal.

Anyway, what I'm saying here is kids are honest. Brutally so. Our job is to direct them towards an overall beneficial future for the human species. This call goes out to parents as well as those without kids. Call them your brother or sister if it helps. It doesn't take long to improve a life. A smile in the supermarket, waving in the car, can make a child's day memorable. I wish I could have been there sooner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
The choice of weapon is rather irrelevant. What is relevant is that two boys have decided that it is acceptable to kill another person (pre-medidated murder) over a trivial matter of ill-feeling toward the other person. Apparently, they do understand it would be wrong, but nevertheless, they intended to harm the intended victim. If they accomplished this deed, they would very likely feel justified to commit further offenses on others.

The 'why' has yet to be answered. Perhaps they are predisposed to such selfish acts, or perhaps they have learned that such behavior is acceptable. Perhaps the authorities (counselors) will explore the background of these individuals to discern those events that lead them to conclude that homicide is an acceptable action in dealing with their ill feelings towards others.

Last edited:

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
They 'why' has yet to be answered. Perhaps they are predisposed to such selfish acts, or perhaps they have learned that such behavior is acceptable.
At first I thought I was in the Quantum Physics forum when I saw the 'why'. :biggrin:

Anyway I thought this might apply.

Questions that cannot be answered through scientific investigation are those that relate to personal preference, moral values, the supernatural, or unmeasurable phenomena.
Doing Science: The Process of Scientific Inquiry

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
With regard to the boys' "moral values", an appropriate professional would have to probe 'why' the boys believe it is acceptable to kill another human for whatever reason, including where or how did they develop that notion. A trickier question would be - would they likely do it again? However, one is faced with uncertainty in the answers. These are more or less legal questions, as opposed to scientific questions like those in physics or chemistry.

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
These are more or less legal questions, as opposed to scientific questions like those in physics or chemistry.
I guess I've been to PF too much. Just sayin'.

Yea. One reason I'm not a lawyer.

jim hardy

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
I believe the purpose of incarceration is not punishment, which amounts to old testament revenge, but protection of society through either rehabilitation or isolation(or termination) of bad actors.

Legally can we imprison somebody because of crimes they might commit ?
Or must wait for them to act ?

That's why Conspiracy laws were written.
What's the threshold where you lock somebody away?
Hinckley, Loughner, Lanza come to mind.
I need to ponder this before I get called to such a jury.

Last edited:

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I guess I've been to PF too much. Just sayin'.

Yea. One reason I'm not a lawyer.
Well, in theory, science and the law are about the pursuit of truth, and they are human endeavors that rely upon the integrity of the individuals who practice science or law.

AlephZero

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Legally can we imprison somebody because of crimes they might commit ?
Or must wait for them to act ?
In the UK, conspiracy to commit some types of crime is an offense (but it may be difficult to prove).

Once somebody has been convicted of something, then the UK has the concept of "indefinite sentences" - i.e. you don't get released until you convince the authorities that you are no longer a danger to society. This has been used in cases where the "standard" sentence for an offense would be only a few months.

The other alternative is action on the grounds of mental health - containment in a secure hospital. But that is problematic, in that something has to happen to make the authorities get involved, even if the "something" isn't actually criminal.

I need to ponder this before I get called to such a jury.
Not really. I've done jury service. The jury's task is to consider a particular case on the merits of the evidence, not construct a general philosophical theory of the meaning of "justice". (And in the UK, the jury only decides on guilt or innocence, it isn't involved in sentencing as I believe happens in the US)

@ChiralWaltz - You fool. Why did you be honest with her? You should have known world is unfair by then. :P

A killer will be killer. There's no stopping that. Censor Hollywood and all these will stop.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads