Figure skater spinning with arms in and out

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
jmb07
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
I need some help just getting moving on this problem...

A figure skater is spinning at a rate of 1.6 rev/s with her arms outstretched. She then draws her arms in toward her chest reducing her rotational inertia to 64% of its original value. What is her new rate of rotation??

I'm not sure how to relate the rate to the inertia...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jmb07 said:
I need some help just getting moving on this problem...

A figure skater is spinning at a rate of 1.6 rev/s with her arms outstretched. She then draws her arms in toward her chest reducing her rotational inertia to 64% of its original value. What is her new rate of rotation??

I'm not sure how to relate the rate to the inertia...
What is the equation which defines the angular momentum of a body?