Figuring out time to center of the Earth via a vacuum hole

In summary, an object dropped from the North to South pole would accelerate at a=-gs/R(e), where s is the distance of the object from the center of the Earth. The object would take 1266 seconds to travel from the surface to the center.
ryank614

Homework Statement

A hole is drilled from the North to South pole. THe air is evacuated. An object dropped from the surface would accelerate at a=-gs/R(e), where s is the distance of the object from the center of the Earth. Find the magnitude of velocity at the middle of the Earth and the time in seconds required for the object to fall to the middle.

R(e)=radius of the Earth given as 6370 km.
g=9.81m/s^2

2. The attempt at a solution

I have figured out the first part.

a(s)=dv/ds * ds/dt = v * dv/ds

Using this, since acceleration is given in terms of position,

a(s) ds = v dv

Integrating with the left side from s0=6370000 meters to s1=0 AND v0=0 and v1=v,
I found the magnitude of the velocity at the middle of the Earth to be 7905 m/s

Then comes the problem. I can't seem to figure out the time it takes. This is what I have so far.

From the above integral, I found velocity as a function of position.

Using v(s) = ds/dt, I put ds/v(s) = dt.

I tried integrating this which would be

ds/SquareRoot(g*s^2/R(e)) = dt.

I get t=12630 seconds. The answer is 1266 seconds. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since [tex]a=-\frac{g}{R_e}s[/tex] and [tex]a=\ddot{s}[/tex] you get

[tex]\ddot{s}+\frac{g}{R_e}s=0[/tex]

Do you recognize this equation?

no sorry I don't :(

It is the harmoning oscillator equation :smile:, i.e.

[tex]\ddot{x}+\omega^2\,x=0[/tex]

with period

[tex]T=\frac{2\,\pi}{\omega}[/tex]

Rainbow Child said:
Since [tex]a=-\frac{g}{R_e}s[/tex] and [tex]a=\ddot{s}[/tex] you get

[tex]\ddot{s}+\frac{g}{R_e}s=0[/tex]

Do you recognize this equation?

Ok, so you are saying the double integral of s + gs/R(e) = 0. I can't completely see how that helps me the time.

Unless, are you saying that g/R(e) is equal to w?

Yes!

[tex]\omega^2=\frac{g}{R_e}[/tex]

Now, can you figure out how much time needs the object to travel from the surface to the center?

Wow. Thank you very much. I just plugged in w and divided by 4 since it was asking for the time to the center.

Thanks!

Glad I helped! :smile:

1. How deep is the vacuum hole to reach the center of the Earth?

The exact depth of the vacuum hole to reach the center of the Earth would depend on various factors such as the location and composition of the Earth's crust. However, on average, it would need to be around 6,371 kilometers deep.

2. How long would it take to reach the center of the Earth through a vacuum hole?

The time it would take to reach the center of the Earth through a vacuum hole would depend on the speed of the object traveling through the hole. Assuming a constant acceleration of 9.8 meters per second squared, it would take approximately 42 minutes and 12 seconds to reach the center of the Earth.

3. What would be the potential dangers of traveling through a vacuum hole to the center of the Earth?

There are several potential dangers associated with traveling through a vacuum hole to the center of the Earth. These may include extreme temperatures, high levels of pressure, and potential structural instability of the hole. Additionally, there may be unknown geological hazards and unpredictable changes in the Earth's composition.

4. Is it theoretically possible to reach the center of the Earth through a vacuum hole?

Yes, it is theoretically possible to reach the center of the Earth through a vacuum hole. However, it would require advanced technology and careful planning to overcome the various challenges and dangers involved in such a journey.

5. What are the potential benefits of reaching the center of the Earth through a vacuum hole?

Reaching the center of the Earth through a vacuum hole could provide valuable scientific insights about the Earth's composition, geological processes, and potential resources. It could also open up possibilities for future space exploration and colonization efforts.