Figuring out which grad schools/what department to apply to

• Schools
  • Thread starter PhDorBust
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Apply Grad
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of which department to apply to for a final year math student with a research background in CS, and how to determine which schools to apply to based on academic achievements and research interests. The topic of cryptography is also mentioned, with potential areas of interest including homomorphic encryption and algebraic cryptanalysis.
PhDorBust
So I am a final year math student and there are two questions here,

1) I am a math student but all of my research has been in CS. If I do pursue a CS degree it will be in something mathematical like cryptography, but I really have no clue. Should I be applying to Math or CS departments? Does it matter in the long run?

2) How do you know what range of schools is appropriate to be applying to? I have 4.0 gpa, REUs at Cornell and UCLA, 1 publication from other research at home institution, top percentile on GRE, but I come from a poor undergrad school. That is, given say 10 applications, how would you distribute them between top 20 schools, top 20-50 schools, etc?

I know rank-centric sorting may not be most accurate measure, but I don't see another easy way to partition good vs not-as-good.

Physics news on Phys.org
What was the subject matter of your two REUs? Do you have any particular research interests that you could articulate in any detail?

What sort of cryptography are you interested in? There has been quite a stir surrounding homomorphic encryption schemes. There is also algebraic cryptanalysis to consider, which has much more of a discrete mathematics feel (lots of finding complexity bounds for algorithms on polynomial rings with finite ground fields, for instance).

1. How do I determine which grad schools to apply to?

The first step in figuring out which grad schools to apply to is to research and identify your specific academic and career goals. Consider factors such as location, program offerings, faculty expertise, and financial aid opportunities. You can also seek out recommendations from professors and colleagues, and attend graduate school fairs to gather information.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing a specific department within a graduate school?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a specific department within a graduate school include the reputation and ranking of the department, the faculty and their research interests, the curriculum and course offerings, funding opportunities, and any specialized resources or facilities that may be relevant to your research interests.

3. How can I assess the quality and reputation of a graduate program?

One way to assess the quality and reputation of a graduate program is to look at its ranking in national and international lists, such as the US News & World Report rankings. You can also research the faculty members in the program and their publications and citations, as well as the success and achievements of alumni from the program.

4. Should I consider the cost of tuition when choosing a graduate program?

The cost of tuition should definitely be a factor to consider when choosing a graduate program. However, it should not be the only deciding factor. Look into financial aid options, such as scholarships, grants, and assistantships, as well as the potential return on investment in terms of career opportunities and salary potential after graduation.

5. Is it beneficial to visit potential graduate schools before applying?

Visiting potential graduate schools before applying can be very beneficial, as it will give you an opportunity to see the campus and facilities, meet with faculty and current graduate students, and get a feel for the overall atmosphere and culture of the department and university. This can help you make a more informed decision about which schools to apply to and which program is the best fit for you.