Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Filter water as rolling it in a barrel

1. Feb 2, 2017 #1
    Hi,

I need some help to verify whether this is possible or not.
    I am working on a project that still in early phase of development. The idea is to create a water filter system to in a barrel as rolling it. Basically the barrel will contain 4 panels placed inside the barrel creating a shape of (+) sign in the barrel. The panels will contain activated carbon to filter the water and a mesh of 1mm holes. Let's say the barrel can carry 20gal of water. Is it possible to filter the water by rolling it for a 2 hrs duration using this concept? If not what would you suggest?
    Note that there will be a gap right in the middle of the 4 panels. So they are not connected.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2017 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Typically filters are used in such a way that the fluid flows through the filter. This helps ensure anything caught by the filter stays upstream and doesn't pass through with the water. I'm not sure that an "agitation type" filter would be as effective.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  4. Feb 4, 2017 #3
  5. Feb 4, 2017 #4

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted