Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Purify Water in a Rolling Barrel

1. Nov 17, 2016 #1
    Hello -

I am hoping for a bit of helping on a high school science project. I am looking for suggestions on how to force water through a tube or a screen within a barrel full of water as it rolls. I had a concept for using a UV light system to purify the water, but that option fell apart so I am hoping for ideas that are more mechanical. Thanks very much!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

By "purify" you mean filter?

4. Nov 17, 2016 #3
    Yes, I do mean filter. I am hoping to pass the water through a cloth screen or lifestraw (tube that filters out organic matter/pathogens) as the barrel rolls. Any ideas you might have would be great.

5. Nov 17, 2016 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If the "lifestraw" is a semi-permeable membrane, you'll need to establish a pressure gradient, and that is going to be a function of what's actually in solution rather than suspended; the difference between "reverse osmosis" and "filtration."

6. Nov 18, 2016 #5
    Any suggestions for creating a pressure gradient inside a barrel full of water as it rolls? The filter would be semi-permeable.

7. Nov 18, 2016 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

8. Nov 18, 2016 #7

JBA

Are you trying to purify water that is held in the barrel? If so, how will you separate the clean water from the unfiltered water?

9. Nov 18, 2016 #8
    Was thinking a bag with an attached filter that would go inside the drum.

10. Nov 18, 2016 #9

JBA

Have you thought of any possibilities of how to mechanically move that bag with the filter on its mouth through the drum as it rotates?

11. Nov 19, 2016 #10
    I was thinking of attaching the filter to the side of the bag and filling the water into the bag and sealing the front. Will the water come out of the filter as the barrel turns? Can anybody help with that? Thank you very much

12. Nov 19, 2016 #11

JBA

If you are doing that, all you need to do is hang the bag above the barrel and let the weight of the water push the water through the filter on the bottom of the bag.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted