1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Filtering/Displaying records from Access in Visual Studio 2008

1. Oct 11, 2008 #1
    First I must mention that I'm a novice-intermediate VB programmer.

I have a subtle understanding (I bought a book!) of database programming for a SQL Server db. However, I'm using Access and this book simply isn't cutting it.

Any resources/advice to lead me to be able to using SQL statements, displaying records meeting certain criteria, etc. would be very much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2008 #2
    Let me be more specific

I need to load records from an existing Access db where [job #] = (variable). I do not want all fields from the specified records. I then want to put those records (3,622 to be precise) into another table for further processing, etc.

I know how to do this in vb 2005. But this oop/ado.net stuff is not sinking in. I now have Visual Studio 2008 and am stuck here.

I have examples which tell me how to do it using SQL Server, but I don't understand why the DataReader object doesn't work with OleDb connections.

I could use some help getting over this major obstacle. I'm right in the middle of a huge project.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?