Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Filtering/Displaying records from Access in Visual Studio 2008

1. Oct 11, 2008 #1
    First I must mention that I'm a novice-intermediate VB programmer.

I have a subtle understanding (I bought a book!) of database programming for a SQL Server db. However, I'm using Access and this book simply isn't cutting it.

Any resources/advice to lead me to be able to using SQL statements, displaying records meeting certain criteria, etc. would be very much appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2008 #2
    Let me be more specific

I need to load records from an existing Access db where [job #] = (variable). I do not want all fields from the specified records. I then want to put those records (3,622 to be precise) into another table for further processing, etc.

I know how to do this in vb 2005. But this oop/ado.net stuff is not sinking in. I now have Visual Studio 2008 and am stuck here.

I have examples which tell me how to do it using SQL Server, but I don't understand why the DataReader object doesn't work with OleDb connections.

I could use some help getting over this major obstacle. I'm right in the middle of a huge project.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?