Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Filtration and choice of solvent

1. Apr 17, 2009 #1

~christina~

Gold Member

Another seemingly simple issue that I've never really had to think about before untill now.

Say, I have to filter out a solid precipitate that I see in a limited amount of unknown solvent.

I have a Büchner funnel, but I need to have a solvent to rinse the solid with.

Questions I have about this
    1. If I don't know what solvent it is, do I have to find out what it is before I filter out the
    solid? (i.e. using GC)

2. If I have to find out the solvent through GC (I have to do this anyway) before I filter out
    the solid, and the mixture consists of more than one solvent, do I have to mix the
    solvents that are in the mixture and use that to rinse the solid through the filter with?

Thank you,
    ~christina~

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2009 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If all you are doing is a GC analysis, why don't you just use a syringe filter and be done with it? Or centrifuge and carefully decant with an eppendorf pipette?

4. Apr 19, 2009 #3

~christina~

Gold Member

We don't have syringe filters at our disposal. They have just advised us today to decant the solid out and evaporate the solvent.

Thank you for your help,
    chemisttree

5. Apr 19, 2009 #4
    i'd tell you to choose a solvent that does have a common ion with your precipitate..as example if you have AgCl you would use AgNO3 with it...and so on

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook