1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Final Undergraduate Semester Guidance

1. Jun 19, 2014 #1
    Hello all,

I have a bit of a dilemma.
    I have two free electives to take and I am considering taking two "advanced" math classes and get a math minor or two semi-good classes from whatever.
    If I take two math classes and I get A's, it would be lovely. But, If I get low grades, my GPA will diminish. :/

I believe that smart schools/people judging my transcript in an admission application to graduate school(PhD) would consider the weight that these math classes have and would consider me further.

I guess, I should just make sure that my GPA## \geq 3.2## in the end right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Your main goal is to learn as much as you can about things you find interesting. Choosing your classes so that you will have the best grades is the wrong way of thinking.

4. Jun 19, 2014 #3
    What are the "advanced" math classes?

5. Jun 19, 2014 #4
    I agree micromass, I never chose mediocre classes before for a GPA boost and I have never dropped a class.
    But, I thought that since the end of the undergraduate program is near and there are requirements for graduate school, I should make an exception.

Austrian, the classes are Theory of Numbers (Intro. to Number Theory) and Complex Variables for scientists and engineers.

I will probably do fine, I just worry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook