Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FINAL VOTE - Bridge Over Troubled Water

FINAL VOTE - Bridge Over Troubled Water

Poll closed Sep 1, 2006.
  1. hypatia

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  2. Kurdt

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. hypnagogue

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  4. turbo-1

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  5. Dmitri

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Janus

10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  1. Aug 28, 2006 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This promises to be a rather difficult final round of voting. Good luck to everyone!

1. hypatia
    [​IMG]

2. Kurdt
    [​IMG]

3. hypnagogue
    [​IMG]

4. turbo-1
    [​IMG]

5. Dmitri
    [​IMG]

6. Janus
    [​IMG]

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2006 #2

lo2

And what are we supposed to do?

4. Aug 28, 2006 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow! Every one of these could be a postcard. I think I am going to go with Janus's pic because it's kind of a romantic view. :!!)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  5. Aug 28, 2006 #4

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Same two choices as before, and after careful consideration, same decision. Maybe the Brooklyn Bridge is just too familiar to me, but I liked Hypatia's wonderful shot just a tad better.

6. Aug 28, 2006 #5
  7. Aug 28, 2006 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I had to go with Janus again for this one. It just looks so warm and inviting. :smile:

8. Aug 28, 2006 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Same here.

9. Aug 28, 2006 #8
    I went with Turbo because I am a sucker for any pic with that bike in it haha

10. Aug 28, 2006 #9
    kurdt's, cool shape and I love the shot of that water.

11. Aug 29, 2006 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's this weird series of posts (they don't look like buoys) sticking out of the water in that pic. I can't imagine what they're for.

12. Aug 29, 2006 #11
    Looks like a channel to make sure boats go under the highest part of the bridge.

-GeoMike-

13. Aug 29, 2006 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That was my first thought. But you'd think they'd use buoys for that, wouldn't you? Or are those things buoys after all?

14. Aug 29, 2006 #13

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah its to protect the bridge in case a ship strays off course while travelling underneath (the posts are concrete). As you can see the size of boat or ship is severely limited by the bridge. Recently they installed a modern art feature in the area enclosed by these posts which consists of some old cars made to float with their tops just above the water.

Actually I managed to find some amusing footage of the bridge fully open, you'll see why its amusing as the footage progresses.

[MEDIA=youtube]RJJ5cCO6R3M[/MEDIA]&mode=related&search=

looks like it was taken from the baltic modern art centre near the bridge.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  15. Aug 29, 2006 #14

turbo

Gold Member

Thanks, scorpa. That was one hot Wide-Glide. Dave Perewitz did the head-work, https://www.perewitz.com/default.asp it had an EV3 cam with adjustable push-rods, a K&N filter, high-flow petcock and fuel filter, S&S Super E racing carb with Yost Power Tube pre-atomizer, and low-restriction pipes with anti-reversion rings. My new Softail has a larger-displacement Twin Cam engine and I have installed a K&N filter, low-restriction pipes and a programmable Power Commander, but for raw power it couldn't hold a candle to the Wide Glide.

One year, I asked my cousin's 16-year-old daughter what she wanted for Christmas, expecting her to ask for my teriaki chicken, hot beef jerky, or maybe shrimp egg-rolls (we always had them over to our house and cooked everybody's favorite dishes), and she said "I want a ride on your Harley!" As luck would have it, the morning was in the mid-40's, so I picked her up and we went on a 40-mile circuit of local towns with me driving and her smiling and waving like a beauty queen (not far off the mark!) at families heading for church. She was thrilled, and wore a grin that could not be erased all day. Her older sister got to "help" me with the spicy smoked beef jerky, including the incremental taste tests, and was pretty happy, too, so we had a great day.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  16. Aug 30, 2006 #15

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you haven't cast your vote for this contest, you have less than a couple of days left. Vote count so far is VERY tight, with 3 votes separating 1st and 4th place. So every vote counts!

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?