Finance and Math with 37points in IB?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding universities that accept the speaker's IB certificate. They have a hard combination of subjects and cannot attend their desired university, LSE, due to their extra HL. They are seeking recommendations for other universities that appreciate the IB certificate and offer degrees in math and finance/economics with minimum requirements of 38 points. The speaker also mentions finding information on university admission requirements through the IBO website.
Oooehh
I have a problem. I graduated with very hard combination from IB: natural sciences (except biology) all HLs, Economics HL, HL Math and two languages SL. In practise, I did 5 HLs but IBO allowed only 4. Yet, I cannot get to the best universities as the border is 38, despite my extra HL.

My plan was to study Math and Finance in LSE. Now, it seems I cannot. I desperately need recommendations of universities that appreciate my IB certificate. They can be anywhere, but they must the best ones. I need new challenges! Is there any other excellent university in finance and math than LSE in UK?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/undergraduateAdmissions/AdmissionsCriteria/maths.htm

According to this website you need a 7 in HL maths and two other HL subjects with a 6...

The IBO seems to maintain information on the requirements for admission to universities:
http://www.ibo.org/country/GB/index.cfm

Last edited by a moderator:
oedipa maas said:
http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/undergraduateAdmissions/AdmissionsCriteria/maths.htm

According to this website you need a 7 in HL maths and two other HL subjects with a 6...

The IBO seems to maintain information on the requirements for admission to universities:
http://www.ibo.org/country/GB/index.cfm

Thanks! You made me realize that I actually satisfy the minimum requirements. Where can I find other degrees in "Math & Finance/Economics"? I still wonder whether I can get to degrees with minimum requirements 38 points.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do finance and math intersect in the IB program?

In the IB program, students are required to take both math and finance courses. These courses often overlap, as they both involve concepts such as analyzing data, making calculations, and understanding patterns. In finance, students use math to calculate interest rates, analyze stock market trends, and evaluate risk. In math, students use finance concepts to solve real-world problems and apply mathematical models to financial scenarios.

2. What are some examples of finance and math topics covered in the IB program?

Some examples of finance and math topics covered in the IB program include financial ratios, compound interest, probability, regression analysis, and financial markets. Students may also learn about financial modeling, investment management, and financial decision-making using mathematical tools and formulas.

3. How does studying finance and math in the IB program prepare students for future careers?

Studying finance and math in the IB program can prepare students for a variety of careers in fields such as finance, economics, business, and data analysis. These courses develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are highly valued in the job market. They also provide a solid foundation for further education in related fields, such as finance or economics.

4. Are there any particular challenges in studying finance and math in the IB program?

One potential challenge in studying finance and math in the IB program is the level of complexity and depth of the material. These courses may require a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and formulas, as well as the ability to apply them to real-world scenarios. Some students may also struggle with the interdisciplinary nature of these courses, as they require a combination of mathematical skills and financial knowledge.

5. How can students best prepare for finance and math courses in the IB program?

To prepare for finance and math courses in the IB program, students can review and strengthen their basic math skills, such as algebra and geometry. They can also familiarize themselves with financial terms and concepts, as well as practice solving problems using mathematical formulas. It may also be helpful to seek additional resources or support, such as tutoring or study groups, to reinforce understanding and improve performance in these courses.