1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Switching from Finance to Mathematics

1. Mar 7, 2017 #1
    I am a 24 Year Old Chartered Accountant (Indian). I used a peculiar direct entry scheme for the qualification, which essentially means I do not have an undergraduate degree. The last time I learned any sort of intensive math was in 12th Grade (Commerce + Math).

However, I am interested in becoming a mathematician, and have been teaching myself for some time now, although I would much rather get some formal training. Unfortunately for me, every Degree in Mathematics requires me to have studied Science in 12th Grade.

At this point I am at something of an impasse. On the one hand, I am fond of mathematics and am more than willing to teach it to myself till I'm 70. On the other hand I know that to enter a career in Mathematics I will need formal education which seems beyond my reach.

Is there anyway I can break into this field from where I am? I am more than willing to take any exams it might take to prove my knowledge. Is there any respectable university anywhere that will accept a student like me?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2017 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some British Universities offer Foundation Courses . These are provided for people that have unsuitable or inadequate qualifications for normal direct entry to degree courses . These courses take one academic year and acceptance is usually based on a written submission , interviews and sometimes letters of recommendation .

Many subjects are covered but most common use is in science and engineering where courses bring candidates up to roughly A level standard in Maths and Physics . Other subjects related to the specific degree course being aimed at are also usually included .

4. Mar 7, 2017 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Foundation Courses are good because they put the candidate in the University teaching system immediately and give access to all the normal student resources .

There are other ways of proceeding though - study for enough A levels at a local college or build up enough credits with OU courses .

5. Mar 7, 2017 #4
    Thank you for the reply,

Can someone with a foundation course compete on the same level as someone who has been through the traditional route when it comes to Undergraduate Admissions? Is the admission for Foundation Courses themselves extremely competitive?

Is this a practical route? As much as I love to take risks, I am not a particularly rich man. Going by what I could find on Google, a typical foundation course costs around GBP 8,000 and the typical Undergraduate program costs as much as GBP 27,000

6. Mar 7, 2017 #5

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes - completion of a foundation course gives you at least equal status with a standard entry student .

I have no personal experience of Maths courses but candidates for engineering subjects with prior industrial experience plus successful completion off a Foundation Course often do extremely well in later studies .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted