Find 1.25" Focuser for 8" Newtonian Telescope

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter zeriodpeezeriod
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
zeriodpeezeriod
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Can someone help me? I'm building a Newtonian telescope, 8-inch, f/6, secondary minor axis 1.5 inch. According to the instructions I'm following, I need a 1.25" focuser with minimum fully racked in height of 1 3/4 inches. Problem is, I just can't seem to find a focuser with those specs. Are they that unusual? Could someone send me a link if you're able to find one? Thanks.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

That's the racked-out length? That doesn't seem very long, but if you can't find one long enough you can always make them longer with extensions and diagonals. Also, if you want to do photography, you might prefer the heavier-duty 2". Have a look at this:
http://www.telescope.com/Orion-2-Crayford-Style-Telescope-Focuser/p/13039.uts?keyword=crayford focuser
Orion said:
It has a racked-in height of 2-11/16" and 1.4" (35mm) of drawtube travel. The base is contoured to fit Orion 8"- to 12"-aperture Dobsonian and other telescope reflector tubes. It replaces 2" rack-and-pinion focusers on Orion telescope reflectors.

NOTE: For 203mm (8") f/4.9 and 254mm (10") f/4.7 Orion reflectors, a #5122 eyepiece adapter is needed to reach focus. For attachment of a camera body for prime-focus photography, a #5117 T-thread camera adapter is required (sold separately)."
 
zeriodpeezeriod said:
According to the instructions I'm following, I need a 1.25" focuser with minimum fully racked in height of 1 3/4 inches.

A minimum racked in height? That sounds like the racked in height an be larger than 1 3/4 inches, of which there are plenty of focusers.