1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find a line in the rectangle from 0.0 to some point

1. Oct 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is a rectangle in the x-y plane with dimensions H=1, L=2. Find a line or diagonal in the rectangle in which for every point in the shaded area below that line x>y.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The line has to intersect a point in y=1 in which x>y. This point would be (1,1). But I do not get why.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is there a pitcher associated with this problem that hasn't been attached?

4. Oct 25, 2015 #3
    Suppose that the joint p.d.f. of a pair of random variables (X, Y) is constant on the rectangle where 0≤x ≤2 and 0≤y ≤1, and suppose that the p.d.f. is 0 off of this rectangle.

a. Find the constant value of the p.d.f.on the rectangle=1/2.
    b. Find Pr(X≥Y)

5. Oct 26, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not sure I understand your question. I wouldn't worry about the distinction between > and >= here.

6. Oct 27, 2015 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It is impossible to answer this without knowing where the rectangle is. The same size rectangle placed at different places in the plane will give different answers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted