What is the Domain of the Area Function for a Rectangle on a Parabola?

In summary: I've answered all 4 of these questions but I still don't get how [0, ∞) is not the domain.I'm not questioning that the domain is [0, ∞). I'm just explaining why the origin is included in the domain. The function is valid for all values of x, including x = 0. Does that make sense?Yes, it makes sense now. Thank you!In summary, the problem is asking for the domain of the area function for a rectangle with one vertex in Quadrant I at the point (x, y) on the graph of y = 2x
caters

Homework Statement

A rectangle has one vertex in quadrant I at the point (x,y) which lies on the graph of y = 2x^2 and another vertex at the point (-x, y) in the second quadrant and the other vertices on the x-axis at (-x, 0) and (x, 0)

What is the domain of the area function?

y = 2x^2 = w

l = 2x

Vertices:

(-x, 0)
(x,0)
(-x,y)
(x,y)

Homework Equations

2x(2x^2) = 4x^3

2x = 2x^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Find the zeros:

Find the maximum area:

[0,1] is the domain

But I am not so sure about this. On the one hand a rectangle can't have infinite area. On the other hand, 4x^3, the area function goes all the way to infinity.

So am I approaching this wrong? How do I find the maximum area if the function has no max? I know that x cannot be any lower than 0 since that would mean negative area and negative area only applies in integral calculus.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
caters said:

Homework Statement

y = 2x^2 = w

l = 2x

Vertices:
(-x, 0)
(x,0)
(-x,y)
(x,y)

Homework Equations

2x(2x^2) = 4x^3

2x = 2x^2

Find the zeros:

Find the maximum area:

[0,1] is the domain

But I am not so sure about this. On the one hand a rectangle can't have infinite area. On the other hand, 4x^3, the area function goes all the way to infinity.

So am I approaching this wrong? How do I find the maximum area if the function has no max? I know that x cannot be any lower than 0 since that would mean negative area and negative area only applies in integral calculus.
Please give the complete problem statement.

I just edited my post to include the whole problem statement.

You should have something that looks like a function definition in function notation. Since it represents Area, you might chose A for the function name.

What is the definition (a formula) for A ?

A(x) = _?_

A(x) = 4x^3

In fact that first equation up there in the second part shows how I got this. 2x is the length and y is the width. Since y = 2x^2, A(x) = 2x(2x^2) = 4x^3

Last edited:
caters said:
A(x) = 4x^3

In fact that first equation up there in the second part shows how I got this. 2x is the length and y is the width. Since y = 2x^2, A(x) = 2x(2x^2) = 4x^3
Yes, and you had some other expressions as well .

Now it's clear that you have the correct function for area.

Saying that the range of this function goes to infinity, does NOT say that the area can be infinite, It simply means that that area can be made to be as large as desired.

caters said:

Homework Statement

A rectangle has one vertex in quadrant I at the point (x,y) which lies on the graph of y = 2x^2 and another vertex at the point (-x, y) in the second quadrant and the other vertices on the x-axis at (-x, 0) and (x, 0)

y = 2x^2 = w

l = 2x

Vertices:

(-x, 0)
(x,0)
(-x,y)
(x,y)

Homework Equations

2x(2x^2) = 4x^3

2x = 2x^2

Find the zeros:

Find the maximum area:

[0,1] is the domain

You have confused "range" with "domain". The range is the set of area values; the domain is the set of ##x##-values. So, the question is asking about the allowed ##x##-values, not about the values of area.

Don't worry about the lack of a maximal area. Some functions (on some domains) do not have maxima; this is one of them.

Of course you cannot have an infinite area, but you can have area greater than 10 million or greater than 100 quadrillion or greater than ... . You see? There is no upper limit beyond which the area cannot go. No matter how large a number you name you can have an area larger than that number.

Last edited:
So the domain is [0, ∞)?

caters said:
So the domain is [0, ∞)?
Can you have x = 0 ?

Yes. If x = 0, then the rectangle will simply be a point at the origin. Plus, 0 is a valid number for the function.

caters said:
Yes. If x = 0, then the rectangle will simply be a point at the origin. Plus, 0 is a valid number for the function.
Then it's not a rectangle.

The point (0,0) is not in Quadrant I .

But I can have the area function equal 0 and be valid. And the origin is in all quadrants. As x increases, -x decreases by the same amount and y increases by 2x^2 so it traces the parabola as the rectangle gets bigger and bigger. As a result, its area increases by 4x^3.

I don't see how that changes this:

[0, ∞)

to this:

(0, ∞)

caters said:
But I can have the area function equal 0 and be valid. And the origin is in all quadrants. As x increases, -x decreases by the same amount and y increases by 2x^2 so it traces the parabola as the rectangle gets bigger and bigger. As a result, its area increases by 4x^3.

I don't see how that changes this:

[0, ∞)

to this:

(0, ∞)
The problem statement says what regarding the location of the vertex at (x, y) ?

Sure the function, f(x) = 4x3 be zero or for that matter it can return a negative, but those are inconsistent with the problem statement as regards A(x) ..

It just shows that as one of the vertices along with (-x, y), (-x, 0), and (x, 0). It doesn't say anything other than that (x, y) is a vertex as far as the point (x, y) is concerned. The only other thing it shows besides a graph, which I can't put here, is that y = 2x^2 and it asks me these 4 things:

1) What is the area as a function of x?

2) What is the domain of the area function?

3) What is the perimeter as a function of x?

and

4) What is the maximum area?

Everything but the domain, I am confident that I got right.

caters said:
A rectangle has one vertex in quadrant I at the point (x,y) ...

That clearly states that the point (x, y) is in Quadrant I, the first quadrant. That means that x > 0 and y > 0. Neither is equal to zero.

caters said:

Homework Statement

y = 2x^2 = w

l = 2x

Vertices:

(-x, 0)
(x,0)
(-x,y)
(x,y)

Homework Equations

2x(2x^2) = 4x^3

2x = 2x^2

Find the zeros:

Find the maximum area:

[0,1] is the domain

If ##x < 0## the length of the side from ##(-x,0)## to ##(x,0)## is ##2|x|##, so whether ##x## is positive or negative, the area is always positive, because ##A = 2 |x| x^2##. The formula ##2 x^3## applies when ##x \geq 0## only. You don't believe it? Well, if ##x = +5## the two ends of the base are at (-5.0) and (5,0), so the distance between them is 10. When ##x = -5## the two ends are at (-5,0) and (5,0) again, so the distance between them is still 10.

1. What is the domain of an area function?

The domain of an area function refers to the set of all possible values that the independent variable (usually denoted as x) can take in the function. In simple terms, it is the range of values for which the function is defined and has a corresponding output.

2. How do you determine the domain of an area function?

To determine the domain of an area function, you must consider any restrictions or limitations on the independent variable. For example, if the function involves taking the square root of a number, the domain would be all values that result in a non-negative output. Additionally, you must also consider any real-world constraints that may apply to the function.

3. Can the domain of an area function be negative?

Yes, the domain of an area function can include negative values. This is especially common when dealing with real-world applications, where negative values may represent a meaningful quantity, such as the depth of a pool or the height of a building.

4. What happens if a value is outside the domain of an area function?

If a value is outside the domain of an area function, it means that the function is not defined for that particular input. This could result in an error or an undefined output. For example, if the domain of an area function only includes positive values, then plugging in a negative value would result in an undefined output.

5. Can the domain of an area function change?

Yes, the domain of an area function can change depending on the context or constraints of the problem. For example, if the function represents the area of a square, the domain would initially be all positive values. However, if the problem specifies that the square must have a side length greater than 5, then the domain would change to only include values greater than 5.