Find Amplitude of Glider in Air-Track Oscillation

  • Thread starter Thread starter Liketothink
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Amplitude
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
Liketothink
Messages
68
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An air-track glider attached to a spring oscillates between the 9.23 cm mark and the 50.23 cm mark on the track. The glider completes 27 oscillations in 44.7 s. angular frequency of the glider? (in rad/s)
3.7933
what is the amplitude of the glider?


Homework Equations



x=Acos(wt+ro)

The Attempt at a Solution


I considered that at x=9.23 the amplitude was zero and so is ro.
Hence, x=50.23 would equal just 50.23 cm=Acos(3.79(44.7)). But A turned out to be negative. What am I doing wrong? How do I solve this problem? Thank you in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the center of oscillation here? The amplitude is the maximum distance from the center that the glider reaches.
 
Would it be half the distance the glider travels which is 20.5 cm?
 
It still gives me a negative number if I do .205/((cos(3.79*44.7)).
 
:confused: You just said the amplitude was 20.5 cm, which is correct.