1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find an expression for the attenuation from the eqn given

1. Nov 6, 2016 #1
    • Poster has been reminded to use the Homework Help Template to organize their HH threads
    Having a big issue working through this problem and was wondering if somebody, much smarter than I, could give me a few pointers. Anyway here's the problem:

Given that k2=εμω2-iωμσ

By writing the wave number as k=kr-iki.
    Show that ki, which determines attenuation, can be expressed by:
    ki=ω(εμ/2)1/2[(1+(σ22ε2))1/2)-1]1/2

I've started by equating real and imaginary parts however I find an impasse where I have a quartic equation.

I'd been incredibly grateful for any answers, thank you in advance!

Just as a quick note, I followed the following process but reached an impasse (may be completely off base here):
    k2=εμω2-iωμσ
    Substitute k=kr-iki. into the equation which gives;
    kr2-2ikrki-ki2=εμω2-iωμσ
    Then split into two equations by equating real and imaginary parts;
    (1) kr2-ki2=εμω2
    (2) εμω2=ωμσ/2ki
    Now (2) into (1) gives;
    (ωμσ/2ki)2-ki2=εμω2
    Then rearranging gives;
    ki4+εμω2ki22μ2σ2/4

[EDIT: Realised i'd been a bit of an idiot and missed what should have been quite obvious, thank you for pointing it out!]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2016 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

it is a quadratic... set [itex] k_{i} = \alpha [/itex] and us the quadratic equation for [itex] \alpha [/itex] and take the square root.....

4. Nov 6, 2016 #3
    Actually really disappointed i myself for not seeing that.... Thank you for that, really made this a lot easier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted