Find Coefficient of Friction for Firefighter on Ladder

• Thread starter boomclapslap
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impossible
In summary, a 35kg ladder is leaning against a smooth wall, with a 85kg firefighter standing 3m up the ladder. The goal is to find the coefficient of friction of the floor. Using Newton's laws and a free-body diagram, the angle between the ladder and wall is found to be 53.1 degrees. By setting up an equation using the forces and torque, the coefficient of friction is calculated to be 0.67.
boomclapslap

Homework Statement

(8 marks)
A uniform ladder (m = 35kg) leans against a smooth frictionless wall. The foot of the ladder is 3 m from the wall and an 85kg firefighter stands 3m up the ladder as shown. Find the coefficient of friction of the floor.
http://i49.tinypic.com/ftdo9g.jpg

Homework Equations

(Angular Newton's Second Law and Linear Newton's First Law)
Στ=0 and ΣFx=ΣFy=0
τ = F⊥r

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a free-body diagram of the ladder, being sure to include all forces. Then write out Newton's second law for both the horizontal and the vertical directions. For torque, choose a point and write out the rotational analogue of Newton's second law about that point.

i've tried that, and it gets so complicated and there are so many unknown variables that I get lost every single time. this was actually on my test and i got 0.

ladder is 3m from wall...it connects with the wall 4m high...so get the angle which is tan^-1 of 4/3...which is 53.1

then tan53.1=2umg/mg...which is equal to 2u..
tan53.1/2=coefficient friction=.67

i think that's how you do it

Related to Find Coefficient of Friction for Firefighter on Ladder

What is the coefficient of friction for a firefighter on a ladder?

The coefficient of friction for a firefighter on a ladder can vary depending on the type of ladder and the surface it is resting on. On average, the coefficient of friction can range from 0.25 to 0.5.

How is the coefficient of friction calculated for a firefighter on a ladder?

The coefficient of friction can be calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force. The force of friction can be determined by multiplying the coefficient of friction by the normal force, which is the weight of the firefighter and any equipment they are carrying.

What factors can affect the coefficient of friction for a firefighter on a ladder?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by various factors such as the material and condition of the ladder, the surface it is resting on, and the weight and movement of the firefighter. Weather conditions, such as rain or ice, can also affect the coefficient of friction.

Why is it important to know the coefficient of friction for a firefighter on a ladder?

Knowing the coefficient of friction is important for the safety of the firefighter. It can help determine the stability and potential slipperiness of the ladder, and aid in selecting the appropriate equipment and techniques for safe ladder use.

How can the coefficient of friction be increased for a firefighter on a ladder?

The coefficient of friction can be increased by using a ladder with a rougher surface, such as a ladder with rubber treads, or by using anti-slip devices such as ladder stabilizers or foot grips. Proper maintenance and cleaning of the ladder and the surface it is resting on can also help increase the coefficient of friction.