Find distance using map measurements

In summary, the problem discussed is about finding the actual distance between two cities on a map given the scale of 1 inch : 80 miles. The method of converting units and using dimensional analysis was used to solve the problem, resulting in an answer of 220 miles.
dudxex
Summary:: That is the problem down there.
The scale on a map is 1 inch (in.) ? 80 miles (mi). If two cities are 2 & 3/4in. apart on the map, what is the actual distance between the cities?

So what I did was convert the scales 80/1 mi per in. and multiplied it to 2 & 3/4in which I got an answer of 220 miles apart? somebody please check my answer? thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Iffin 1 inch=80miles, wouldn't 2 inches = 160miles, and 2&3/4 inches = 160 + (3/4*80)?---160+60=220, maybe I misunderstood the question.

Please post homework questions and homework-like questions in our homework section (I moved the thread).

I agree with your answer.

Likes jedishrfu
You could also have done it with decimal notation

80 km/inch * 2.75 inch = 220 km // notice dimensionally the inch units cancel leaving km as the answer's unit of measure. Dimensional checks are useful for checking an answer ie that you aren't missing some conversion factor.

As an example, if the problem said it was 80km/inch and you traveled 2.75 centimeters then you'd need to find the inches per centimeter factor (ie 0.3937 in/cm) to complete the calculation.

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/al...on/v/dimensional-analysis-units-algebraically

1. How do I measure distance using a map?

To measure distance using a map, you will need a ruler or measuring tool. First, locate the two points on the map that you want to measure the distance between. Then, place your ruler or measuring tool on the map, aligning one end with the starting point and the other end with the destination. The scale on the map will help you determine the distance between the two points.

2. What unit of measurement is used for map distances?

The unit of measurement used for map distances can vary, but most commonly it is either in kilometers or miles. The scale on the map will indicate which unit of measurement is being used.

3. Can I measure distance accurately using a map?

Yes, you can measure distance accurately using a map. However, the accuracy may vary depending on the scale of the map and the precision of your measuring tool.

4. Is there a difference between map distance and actual distance?

Yes, there is a difference between map distance and actual distance. Map distance is a representation of the actual distance on the ground. It may not always be 100% accurate due to the distortion of the Earth's surface when flattened onto a map.

5. Can I measure distance using a digital map?

Yes, you can measure distance using a digital map. Most digital maps have a measuring tool or scale that you can use to measure distance between two points. These tools are often more accurate and easier to use than traditional paper maps.