Word problem on finding speed based on time, distance

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving the airspeed of a swallow flying in still air. The solution involves setting up equations for the speed of the swallow in the direction of the wind and on the way back, and then solving a quadratic equation. After some mistakes and corrections, the correct answer of 24 miles/hour is obtained.
ducmod
Mod note: Moved the text under Relevant equations to the attempt section
1. Homework Statement

Hello!
Can't wrap my head around this easy problem. Would be grateful for help in spotting out my mistakes.
One day, Donnie observes that the wind is blowing at 6 miles per hour. An unladen swallow
nesting near Donnie's house flies three quarters of a mile down the road (in the direction of
the wind), turns around, and returns exactly 4 minutes later. What is the airspeed of the
unladen swallow? (Here, `airspeed' is the speed that the swallow can
y in still air.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is how I approached the solution:
x - airspeed in miles/ hour
v1 - speed of the swallow in the direction of the wind, in miles/hour
v2 - speed on the way back in miles/ hour
v1 = x + 6
v2 = x - 6
time to fly 3/4 of a mile = 3/4 : v1
time to fly back = 3/4 : v2
overall time = 1/15 (4 minutes)

then, overall time: 1/15 = 3/4 : (x+6) + 3/4 : (x-6)

When I try to solve this, I do not get the result any way near the desired one, and I do not get correct roots for x.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ducmod said:
When I try to solve this, I do not get the result any way near the desired one, and I do not get correct roots for x.
Check that calculation once again .

Qwertywerty said:
Check that calculation once again .
I did quite a few times :)
the answer should be 24 miles/hour

15*3(x-6) + 15*3(x+6) - 4(x^2 - 36) = 0
-4x^2 + 90x + 144 = 0
doesn't give the 24m/h

ducmod said:
I did quite a few times :)
the answer should be 24 miles/hour

15*3(x-6) + 15*3(x+6) - 4(x^2 - 36) = 0
-4x^2 + 90x + 144 = 0
doesn't give the 24m/h

Okay - show your working of the quadratic equation's solution . It's correct till now .

Qwertywerty said:
Okay - show your working of the quadratic equation's solution . It's correct till now .
-90 +- √90*90 +4*4*144 / -16
-90 - 102 / - 16 = 12

ducmod said:
-90 +- √90*90 +4*4*144 / -16
-90 - 102 / - 16 = 12
Two things - First - You should be using brackets appropriately .
Second - What's the formula used to solve a quadratic ? Does the denominator use 4*a or 2*a ?

Qwertywerty said:
Two things - First - You should be using brackets appropriately .
Second - What's the formula used to solve a quadratic ? Does the denominator use 4*a or 2*a ?

exactly! thank you, and sorry for not posting correct brackets. of course, it is 2a in the denominator :) Thank you!

What is the formula for finding speed based on time and distance?

The formula for finding speed is speed = distance/time. This means that to find the speed, you divide the distance by the time it took to travel that distance.

How do you convert units when solving a speed word problem?

To convert units, you can use unit conversion factors. For example, if the distance is given in kilometers and you need to find the speed in meters per second, you can use the conversion factor 1 km = 1000 m. Multiply the distance by the conversion factor to get the distance in meters. Then, divide the distance by the time to find the speed in meters per second.

What is the difference between average speed and instantaneous speed?

Average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken. It gives an overall picture of how fast an object was moving during the entire journey. Instantaneous speed, on the other hand, is the speed at a specific moment in time. It can be calculated by finding the slope of the distance-time graph at that particular point.

How does changing the distance or time affect the speed?

Changing the distance will directly affect the speed. As the distance increases, the speed decreases and vice versa. Changing the time will also affect the speed. As the time increases, the speed decreases and vice versa. This is because speed is inversely proportional to both distance and time.

Can speed be negative in a word problem?

Yes, speed can be negative in a word problem. This occurs when an object is traveling in the opposite direction of the positive direction chosen in the problem. It is important to pay attention to the direction of motion when solving speed word problems.