Find individual masses of two objects attracting with 2.5×10⁻¹⁰ N

  • Thread starter Thread starter jrd007
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gravitation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
jrd007
Messages
159
Reaction score
0
I know they involve F= G(m1 x m2)/r^2

1) Two objects attract one another gravitationally, with a force of 2.5 x 10^-10 N when they are .25 m apart. Their total mass is 4.0 kg. Find the individual masses.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a formula for the gravitational force. You know the force and distance between the two objects so you can find M_1 M_2, right? You also know what M_1 + M_2 is, right? Are these two equations enough to find M_1 and M_2?
 
No... how can I find m1 and m2? Since there are two unknowns in it?
 
That the individual masses will add up to 4.0 kgs?
 
With 2 equations and 2 unknowns, you have a choice ...
usually it is OK to solve the "simple one" for one unknown.
Substitute that expression into the "complicated equation",
and solve for the only remaining unknown.

Me, I'd solve the multiplication equation first, then
substitute one term into the addition equation.
 
Thanks I did like you said, and then I used the Quadratic formula and got the answers!