1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find its position at the instants when velocity is zero

1. Sep 8, 2009 #1
    1.The position of the front bumper of a test car under microprocessor control is given by x(t) = 2.11 m + (4.80 m/s^2)t^2 - (0.100 m/s^6)t^6.

x1 = ? (m)
    x2 = ? (m)

2. v(t) = 9.6t - 0.6t^5

3. I tried setting v(t) = 0 and got -2, 0, 2. None of these turned out to be the right answer...I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2009 #2
    If you take a look at the position formula x(t) = 2.11 m + (4.80 m/s^2)t^2 - (0.100 m/s^6)t^6, you can see that the position x depends on time t.
    So, you have to find that position when velocity is equal to zero. That means that you have to find the moment t when velocity is equal to 0. Your velocity formula v(t) = 9.6t - 0.6t^5 is ok. Now you have to find moment t when velocity is 0.
    v(t) = 9.6t - 0.6t^5
    0=9.6t - 0.6t^5=t(9.6-0.6t^4)
    I hope this helps.

4. Sep 9, 2009 #3
    Yeah, I figured that out this morning. I forgot to take the t out when I set the equation equal to zero...that was my big problem

But now I have to find its acceleration at the instants when the car has zero velocity

a(t) = 9.6 - 3t^4
    But I'm not really sure what to do here. I cant take out a t, so how am I suppose to get two values of t? And when I get the values, what equation do I put them in: x(t), v(t), or a(t)?

5. Sep 10, 2009 #4
    When car has a zero velocity? Aren't those the same t's you have already calculated for x?

6. Sep 10, 2009 #5

drizzle

Gold Member

zero velocity→ zero acceleration
    thus, a(t)=0=... ⇒t=? ⇒ x(t=?)=??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook