Find Math Tutor: Friendly, Experienced & Affordable

• Thread starter ElectricRay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tutor
In summary, the person is looking for a math tutor, preferably through email or Skype, to help them with statistics and probability as they failed an exam in that subject. They are following a distance learning program for their Bsc Electrical Engineering degree and are unable to attend regular classes due to work and personal commitments. They have received some suggestions to check the bulletin board at a nearby university or search for tutors on LinkedIn and Craigslist.
ElectricRay
Hello all,

Does anybody have some suggestions where to find a friendly math tutor who is willing to tutor me (im even willing to pay a fair price for it). I am studying for Bsc Electrical Engineering at a Dutch university by distance learning so I don't have any lectures. I don't have huge problems with math except with Probability/Statistics. I finished the first year with decent grades in math we mainly went thru algebra and trig and started with some differentiation. The last went ok but I would love to improve that as well as it is an important subject next year we will start with integration. Have said this all my main focus for now is statistics/probability because i failed the exam.
Posting questions here and going to KhanAcademy helps yes but a tutor whos willing to have contact by email or maybe even with Skype would be great and helps more.

I would appreciate any ideas, thanks in advance

Raymond

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a university nearby? If so, just swing by the Math department and check the bulletin board -- there will likely be fliers for math tutors there.

berkeman said:
Do you have a university nearby? If so, just swing by the Math department and check the bulletin board -- there will likely be fliers for math tutors there.

Thanks for your adivse berkeman it doesn't seem like a bad advise but (and you could not know that from my previous post) I am travellig al lot for work. So therefore I am following my study by a distance program. Once in a while I go to the university for some examns and that's it. I wish it was different but my age and private life doesn't allow me to stop work and start with a regular program as most people do.
It not easy to follow education like this but its fun to study. Therefore I posted this question here on the forum to see if there are any people here who maybe have the time and fun in tutor me. Nevretheless next time I'm at the uni I will take a look who knows someone is there and willig to help me via internet.

Have you checked out Linkedin? That may be a good way to link up with a remote math tutor. I'll try doing a search when I get a chance.

Likes ElectricRay
Thats a good idea did not thought about that! I found one site but they asked about 87eu for 50 min. I thought that's a bit extreme lol

You could check for tutors through Craigslist.

Thanks ill have a look on that too

1. Who can benefit from a math tutor?

A math tutor can benefit students of all ages and levels, from elementary school to college. They can also be helpful for students who struggle with math or those who want to improve their skills and understanding of math concepts.

2. What makes a math tutor friendly?

A friendly math tutor is someone who is approachable, patient, and understanding. They should create a positive and comfortable learning environment for their students, making them feel at ease and confident in asking questions and seeking help.

3. What experience should a math tutor have?

A math tutor should have a strong understanding and knowledge of math concepts and be able to effectively communicate and teach those concepts to students. They should also have experience working with students of various ages and levels, as well as a track record of success in helping students improve their math skills.

4. How can I find an affordable math tutor?

There are several ways to find an affordable math tutor. You can ask for recommendations from friends, family, or teachers, search online for local tutoring services or individual tutors, or contact your school or university for resources. It's also important to discuss rates and payment options with potential tutors to find one that fits your budget.

5. How can a math tutor help me improve my grades?

A math tutor can help you improve your grades by providing one-on-one instruction and personalized attention to your specific needs and areas of struggle. They can also offer helpful study tips and practice problems to reinforce your understanding of key concepts. With their guidance and support, you can build confidence in your math abilities and see improvement in your grades.