1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find minimum initial velocity of object

1. Oct 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the minimum initial velocity needed for a ball starting from the middle-top (highest point) of a semicircular mound with radius R to go over without touching the mound if the initial velocity has only a horizontal component.

2. Relevant equations

v=d/t

3. The attempt at a solution
    this was a question on a test i just had. i didn't have time to prepare to well for this test so i have no idea how i did. i just used the formula v=d/t and substituted the variable R (radius) for d. then i solved fort which equaled t=R/v. then i plugged this value of t into the formula
    "[tex]\Delta[/tex]d=vt+.5at[tex]^{2}[/tex]. with this i just solved for v and i got v=[tex]\sqrt{4.9R}[/tex]. Im pretty sure it is wrong and that i was supposed to use some formula for circular motion or something. could you please help me figure this question out?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

You've got it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook