1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find opportunities for future engineering PhD graduate

1. Jul 3, 2013 #1
    I was wondering how I could make connections in industry while still a PhD student. I know about job fairs and conferences, but are there other ways to make friends/contacts while still in the early stages of PhDdom so that I have viable options when I graduate?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2013 #2
    A great way is networking with former students of you advisor. Most engineering fields that hire PhDs are surprisingly small worlds.

What kind of engineering are you studying? Are you in the US? If so, some IEEE chapters are very active.

4. Jul 4, 2013 #3
    Well, as of right now I think my focus will be nuclear materials and I am also at a college in the US. I hadn't thought of IEEE chapters, but I will give it a shot. What companies and industries are hiring nuke PhDs fresh out of school because all I see are national labs, the NRC or academia.

5. Jul 5, 2013 #4
    The biggest employers are local power companies that operate nuclear plants. Second are big companies like GE and General Atomics. After that are the DOE labs and academia. It's not a hot time for nuclear engineering.

6. Jul 5, 2013 #5
    Do nuke plants hire PhD's in nuclear? I didn't think they did. But yeah, you're right, it is definitely not a hot time for nukes unfortunately.

7. Jul 5, 2013 #6
    You know, I don't know if nuclear plants hire them directly, but I am 100% sure that the power companies that operate them do. I know a guy who works for Pacific Gas and Electric and he has a PhD in Nuclear Engineering from UC Berkeley.

8. Jul 6, 2013 #7
    Awesome, thanks for the advice. I have to ask though, do you know what he does exactly?

9. Jul 6, 2013 #8
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  10. Jul 6, 2013 #9
    Looks like your friend is a boss/pro. Thanks Carlgrace for the website, I'll be sure to check it out.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook