Find opportunities for future engineering PhD graduate

In summary, networking with former students of your advisor is a great way to make connections in industry while still a PhD student.
nukapprentice
I was wondering how I could make connections in industry while still a PhD student. I know about job fairs and conferences, but are there other ways to make friends/contacts while still in the early stages of PhDdom so that I have viable options when I graduate?

Physics news on Phys.org
A great way is networking with former students of you advisor. Most engineering fields that hire PhDs are surprisingly small worlds.

What kind of engineering are you studying? Are you in the US? If so, some IEEE chapters are very active.

Well, as of right now I think my focus will be nuclear materials and I am also at a college in the US. I hadn't thought of IEEE chapters, but I will give it a shot. What companies and industries are hiring nuke PhDs fresh out of school because all I see are national labs, the NRC or academia.

The biggest employers are local power companies that operate nuclear plants. Second are big companies like GE and General Atomics. After that are the DOE labs and academia. It's not a hot time for nuclear engineering.

Do nuke plants hire PhD's in nuclear? I didn't think they did. But yeah, you're right, it is definitely not a hot time for nukes unfortunately.

nukapprentice said:
Do nuke plants hire PhD's in nuclear? I didn't think they did. But yeah, you're right, it is definitely not a hot time for nukes unfortunately.

You know, I don't know if nuclear plants hire them directly, but I am 100% sure that the power companies that operate them do. I know a guy who works for Pacific Gas and Electric and he has a PhD in Nuclear Engineering from UC Berkeley.

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I have to ask though, do you know what he does exactly?

Last edited:
Looks like your friend is a boss/pro. Thanks Carlgrace for the website, I'll be sure to check it out.

Last edited:

1. What are the requirements for a PhD in engineering?

The specific requirements for a PhD in engineering may vary depending on the institution and program. Generally, applicants are expected to have a bachelor's or master's degree in a related field, strong academic performance, and experience in research and/or engineering work. In addition, most programs require a strong GRE score and letters of recommendation.

2. How do I find opportunities for a PhD in engineering?

There are several ways to find opportunities for a PhD in engineering. You can start by researching universities and programs that offer PhD degrees in your specific field of interest. You can also reach out to professors and potential advisors at those universities to inquire about available research positions. Additionally, many engineering organizations and societies offer funding and scholarship opportunities for PhD students.

3. How long does it take to complete a PhD in engineering?

The length of a PhD program in engineering can vary, but on average it takes 4-5 years to complete. This may also depend on whether the student is pursuing a full-time or part-time program, as well as the specific requirements and research involved in the program.

4. What types of research can I expect to do during a PhD in engineering?

The research involved in a PhD program in engineering will vary depending on the specific field and program. Generally, students are expected to conduct original research in their area of expertise, which may involve experiments, data analysis, computer simulations, or other methods. Students may also have the opportunity to collaborate with other researchers and present their findings at conferences.

5. How can a PhD in engineering benefit my career?

A PhD in engineering can open up a wide range of career opportunities in academia, industry, and research. It can also provide a deeper understanding and expertise in a specific area of engineering, which can lead to higher job prospects and potential for advancement. Additionally, a PhD can also demonstrate strong research and critical thinking skills, which are highly valued in many industries.