Find P(spade or face card or 3 or club)

• MHB
  • Thread starter rainbow1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about two different probability questions involving drawing cards from a standard deck. The first question asks to find the probability of drawing a specific set of cards, while the second question asks for help in solving the problem and obtaining more practice with similar types of problems.
rainbow1
4)
a card is drawn from a standard deck with 52 cards. Find P(spade or face card or 3 or club). Write your answer as a fully reduced fraction?5)

five cards are drawn from a standard deck with 52 cards without replacement. find the probability that the first card is a heart, the second is a spade, the third is a spade, the fourth is a heart, and the fifth is a diamond. Write your answer as a fully reduced fraction

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You forgot to show your work...so we can't check it...
Please post your work...and where you're stuck...thank you.

I haven't really worked on it because I am not sure where to be as well as what exactly to do for the problems

rainbow said:
I haven't really worked on it because I am not sure where to be as well as what exactly to do for the problems
We can't conduct a classroom at this site.
Was your teacher absent?

I am trying to get help on these specific problems that I am being asked on a worksheet that is all I am not asking to get taught it again since I JUST NEED HELP SOLVING THE QUESTIONS IN ORDER TO OBTAIN MORE PRACTICE WITH THESE TYPE OF PROBLEMS

1. What does "Find P(spade or face card or 3 or club)" mean?

"Find P(spade or face card or 3 or club)" is a probability question that asks for the likelihood of drawing a spade, face card, 3, or club from a deck of cards. The "P" stands for probability and the "or" represents the union of events, meaning that any of the listed outcomes can occur.

2. How do you calculate the probability of "Find P(spade or face card or 3 or club)"?

To calculate the probability of "Find P(spade or face card or 3 or club)", you would first determine the total number of outcomes in the event. In this case, there are 52 cards in a deck. Then, you would count the number of cards that fit the criteria (spades, face cards, 3s, or clubs). Let's say there are 16 cards that meet the criteria. The probability would be calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes (16) by the total number of outcomes (52), resulting in a probability of 16/52 or 0.3077, which can also be expressed as a percentage of 30.77%.

3. What is the difference between a spade, face card, 3, and club?

A spade, face card, 3, and club are all different types of playing cards. A spade is one of the four suits in a deck of cards, along with hearts, diamonds, and clubs. A face card refers to any of the three court cards in each suit (Jack, Queen, or King). A 3 is a specific number card in a deck, and a club is another suit in a deck of cards. In this probability question, these terms are used to represent specific outcomes that can be drawn from a deck of cards.

4. What is the probability of drawing a face card or a club from a deck of cards?

The probability of drawing a face card or a club from a deck of cards would be calculated by first determining the total number of face cards and clubs (12 face cards + 13 clubs = 25 desired outcomes) and dividing it by the total number of cards in a deck (52). This would result in a probability of 25/52 or 0.4808, which can also be expressed as a percentage of 48.08%.

5. Can you use this probability question to predict the exact outcome of drawing a card from a deck?

No, this probability question can only provide an estimation of the likelihood of drawing a certain type of card. It cannot predict the specific outcome of drawing a card from a deck as it is based on chance and randomness. Other factors such as shuffling of the deck and the number of cards in play can also affect the outcome.