Find parabola equation with focus (-5,0) and vertex (-5,-4)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
TonyC
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
Fins an equation for the parabola with focus at (-5,0) and vertex at (-5,-4).

I have come up with:

x^2 + 10x + 16y + 89 = 0

How far off am I?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
TonyC said:
Fins an equation for the parabola with focus at (-5,0) and vertex at (-5,-4).

I have come up with:

x^2 + 10x + 16y + 89 = 0

How far off am I?

Can't you check for yourself?

Is it a parabola? (That's easy- there is an x2 term but no y2 term.)

What is the vertex? (Solve for y, then complete the square.)

What is the focus? (You will need to know the equation for the focus of a given parabola.)
 
That is what I am having trouble determining. Can you show me step by step how to check myself?