How do I find p in the parabola equation (x-h)²=4p(y-k)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter yourmom98
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Parabola
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
yourmom98
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
Given {x | -50 < x < 50}, {y | 0 < y < 20} vertex at (0,20) it is a parabola find the equation in (x-h)^2=4p(y-k)

its pretty easy except how do i find p?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The information you given isn't enough- I assume you mean a parabola with vertical line of symmetry, vertex at (0, 20), and such that when x=50, y= 0.
(From {x|-50< x< 50}, {y|0< y< 20}, my first guess was x= 50, y= 20 but then I saw that the vertex was at y= 20 so the parabola must be opening downward.)

Since you only ask about p, I assume you understand that since the vertex is at (0, 20), the equation is (x- 0)2= 4p(y- 20). Now, put x= 50, y= 0 in that and solve for p.