Find solution with initial value

In summary, the conversation discusses using Laplace Transform to solve a differential equation with variable coefficients. The difficulty lies in computing the Laplace transform of a specific term and inverting it. An integrating factor is used to convert the equation into a first-order ODE, which can then be solved using the initial conditions. While some linear DEs with variable coefficients can be solved using Laplace Transform, it may not always be possible to invert the transformed equation. An example of a solvable DE using Laplace Transform is given, but it is noted that not all attempts to solve DEs using this method are successful.
invisible_man
y'' - ty' + y = 1, y(0) = 1, y'(0) =2

I'm trying to solve by Laplace Transform and I got stuck at the end.Anyone can help me to solve it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you compute the Laplace transform of ty'(t) correctly? I think the Laplace transform of this term and computing the Laplace inversion later are the only diffuculty that I foresee.

matematikawan said:
Did you compute the Laplace transform of ty'(t) correctly? I think the Laplace transform of this term and computing the Laplace inversion later are the only diffuculty that I foresee.

The Laplace Transform of ty' = -L[y]'

I think so. Except that the RHS differentiation is wrt s, i.e. [tex]-\frac{dF}{ds}= -\frac{d}{ds}(sY-1) [/tex]

Last edited:
Your ODE is not an ODE with constant coefficients, so it can not be solved by Laplace Transform.

An integrating factor to your ODE

[tex]\mu=t\exp(-\frac{t^2}{2})[/tex]

and corresponding first integral is

[tex]I=\exp(-\frac{t^2}{2})(t\frac {d y}{d t}-y+1)+C1[/tex]

in sense that

[tex]\frac {d I}{d t}=t\exp(-\frac{t^2}{2})(\frac {d^2 y}{d t^2}-t\frac {d y}{d t}+y-1),[/tex]

what is equivalent to your ODE.

Substituting [tex]t=0[/tex] in [tex]I[/tex] we get

[tex]-y(0)+1=C1[/tex]

and as [tex]y(0)=1[/tex] then

[tex]C1=0.[/tex]

Now you have to solve first order ODE ([tex]I=0[/tex])

[tex]t\frac {d y}{d t}-y(t)+1=0.[/tex]

Its solution is

[tex]y(t) = tC2+1[/tex]

Your initial conditions lead to the following solution

[tex]y(t) = 2t+1[/tex]

kosovtsov said:
Your ODE is not an ODE with constant coefficients, so it can not be solved by Laplace Transform.

Some linear DE with variable coefficients can be solve via Laplace transform. It all depends on whether we can solve for Y(s) and later invert it. In this particular case, the transformed equation will be a linear first order DE in Y(s) which I think can be solve for Y(s) quite easily. But whether it can be invert easily, need to look at the expression first.

matematikawan said:
Some linear DE with variable coefficients can be solve via Laplace transform
Can you give an example, please?

I remember some time ago somebody try to solve Bessel equation via Laplace transform.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=389727"
But that person didn't proceed to see them through.

But for the Bessel equation of order zero, it can be done.
x2y''+xy'+x2y = 0
xy''+y'+xy = 0

Apply Laplace transform and solve for Y(s)
[tex]-\frac{d}{ds}(s^2Y-as-b) + sY-a-\frac{dY}{ds}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dY}{ds}=-\frac{sY}{s^2+1}[/tex]

[tex]Y(s)=\frac{A}{\sqrt{s^2+1}}[/tex]

The solution will be the inversion of Y(s).

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the "initial value" in finding a solution?

The initial value in finding a solution refers to the starting point of a problem or equation. It is the value of the dependent variable (usually denoted as y) when the independent variable (usually denoted as x) is equal to 0 or another specified value.

2. Why is it important to know the initial value when finding a solution?

The initial value is important because it helps us determine the specific solution to a problem. Without knowing the initial value, we cannot accurately solve the problem and find the correct solution.

3. How is an initial value used in finding a solution?

An initial value is used as a starting point to find the solution to a problem. It is often substituted into an equation to help solve for the unknown variable.

4. Can the initial value be any number when finding a solution?

Yes, the initial value can be any number as long as it is a valid input for the problem. However, some values may result in more complex or irrational solutions, so it is often helpful to choose a simple value when possible.

5. What happens if the initial value is not specified when finding a solution?

If the initial value is not specified, it can be difficult or impossible to find a specific solution to the problem. Instead, the solution may be represented as a general expression or an infinite number of possible solutions.