Find speed of wire with voltage, length, and magnetic field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
ettac
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A voltage of 1.50 V is induced in a 30.0 m long wire as it moves perpendicularly to a 3.50× 10–3 T magnetic field. At what speed is the wire moving?
Answer is 14.2 m/s

Homework Equations


Fm=IlB
Fm=qvB
I=q/t

Thanks for all of your help! :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
As the wire moves through the magnetic field, the charges inside feel a force of Fm=qvB. At equilibrium, this is counteracted by an electric field pushing the charges in the opposite direction. Can you find this electric field? If so, the voltage difference is just the integral of the field over the length of the wire.
 
I also have the formula Fe = Eq, but with that I do not know the E or the q.
I can go Fe = Fm , Eq=qvB, E=vB, v=E/B, v=Vq/B from there I don't know the q and I am not using the length of the wire (30.0m).